WHICH ONES

silkiechickens8

Chirping
Mar 27, 2015
So there are a few breeds that I want this year, and they're all from different places near me. I'm going to start with a few this spring, then get some more early summer, midsummer, and late summer. I just want some opinions so if you could list the chicks in order of which ones I should get that':Dd be great :D

List of breeds choices for spring are
Black New Jersey Giants
Sebrights ( if I got gold I would HAVE to get silver;))
Salmon Faverolle
Houdans
Langshan
Thailands
Minorca
Black Sumatras
Blue Cochins
Naked Neck
Sicilian Buttercup
Mottled Cochin
Mille Fleur d'Uccle

Thanks!:)
(I'm probably gonna end up getting all of them I should just stop denying it)

Just wanted to start by saying be careful where you bring chicks home from, different diseases and resistance to them can cause batches to get sick with things they aren't used to. Just had some troubles when I started with sick birds.

Most of the breeds you listed are ornamental, and some can be a bit feisty. I wouldn't mix bantam and large as the bantam end up bullied sometimes. My favorite are the bantam cochins and the d'uccle.

Thank you! I'm very careful especially after the batch I got last year,which out of the 11 only 2 survived because of a disease. My girls (and gents) are very docile and some of them are bantams and some standard so they're pretty respecting to the newcomers every year. I do have some flighty breeds (white leghorns, game bantams, lakenvelders, etc.) and I have been able to bring them out of their shell (no pun intended) with daily interaction (what would we do all day without our chickens?) Thanks so much for the reply! I was leaning towards the Cochin (how could you resist blue Cochins?) and the d'Uccle too because of have a Mille Fleur Cochin Bantam roo who I ADORE and a tiny black d'Uccle bantam who is so quirky. To be honest, though, I'm leaning towards them all which I'll probably be getting all of them knowing me:idunno Thanks again! Also, I see you have donkeys. I've been looking at getting one, how do you like yours?

My flocks consists of one of these and two of those, etc, that's what makes chickens so appealing, they are so many kinds and colors. I would get some of each too.

Donkeys are nothing like horses, they are more like dogs in personality. They are emotional and needy, and they never forget bad handling. A donkey has to want to do what you ask or they will shut down and refuse to move. They can be deadly to dogs, or at least give them a good stomping, and sometimes they are naughty and other times they aren't. They bond tightly with other donkeys, so company for them is necessary. They are loud when braying. They are easy keepers and can get fat if fed grain or too rich a diet. They can be a joy or a pain, depending on whether you understand them or not. Mine keep predators mostly at bay, but they have been seen grazing with a coyote amongst them. Mine are a 29 year old mom, the white one, Dakota who was once a wild burro, and her two sons, 18 and 19 years old, Wilbur and Mr. Ed.

My flocks consists of one of these and two of those, etc, that's what makes chickens so appealing, they are so many kinds and colors. I would get some of each too.

Donkeys are nothing like horses, they are more like dogs in personality. They are emotional and needy, and they never forget bad handling. A donkey has to want to do what you ask or they will shut down and refuse to move. They can be deadly to dogs, or at least give them a good stomping, and sometimes they are naughty and other times they aren't. They bond tightly with other donkeys, so company for them is necessary. They are loud when braying. They are easy keepers and can get fat if fed grain or too rich a diet. They can be a joy or a pain, depending on whether you understand them or not. Mine keep predators mostly at bay, but they have been seen grazing with a coyote amongst them. Mine are a 29 year old mom, the white one, Dakota who was once a wild burro, and her two sons, 18 and 19 years old, Wilbur and Mr. Ed.

Thanks! They're adorable!

Back
Top Bottom