Which option is better for my chicks and their mama? More sunny or more shade?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ozzy chooks, Mar 19, 2018.

1. ozzy chooks

ozzy chooks Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    Canberra Australia
    Hello,

Recently my broody hatched 6 chicks (so cute! here some pics and videos https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-also-a-very-bossy-hen.1227759/#post-19696320)

I have a question about the best place for their coop (see attached a pic of the coop).

The temperature here is as follow:
    • during the day it can be hot and reach 30 deg C (86F). Today it will be 25 deg C (77F).
    • at night now in Autumn it can get cold usually around 9C (48F). Last night was quite chilly at 5.7C (42F).
    Should I rather place the coop in full shade all day or in a warmer spot with the sun shining on?
    Will they stand better heat or cold? Keeping in mind the temperatures are only getting lower. My broody is doing a great job :thumbsup.

Thanks for your advice :)

Attached Files:

2. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    I would say that they shouldn't be somewhere exposed to the sun all day. So if the option is full shade or full sun, go with full shade. Chickens seem to handle mild cold better than heat Imo and chicks will get all the heat they need from their mother.

3. ozzy chooks

ozzy chooks Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    Canberra Australia
    In my backyard there are also spots that can be in the sun only for few hours. But I get your point, so I can leave the coop where it is in full shade all day long.

Thanks Chuckachucka.

chuckachucka likes this.
  4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I like to try and give options.

Is there a way you can move it so summer is full shade and winter gets more sun?

If you can set it so the house part has its back to the setting sun they could have morning sun and evening shade.

ozzy chooks likes this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I would go for shade, especially with your location. What are your temps now? Highs and lows? You're heading into winter.

6. ozzy chooks

ozzy chooks Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    Canberra Australia
    Good general advice @21hens-incharge, thank you. :thumbsup

I am looking for advice on where to place the coop right now. My bad I should have specified it. :bow
    I have another bigger coop for my ladies where all will go when they chicks grow up and ready to be introduce to the flock. And there they will be free range and have sunny spots and shades under trees. The coop is temporary to protect the chicks from any possible bossy hen.

7. ozzy chooks

ozzy chooks Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    Canberra Australia
    Current temperatures are in my initial post :)

8. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    A spot that gets sun in the early morning or early evening (I.e. Not in the hottest hours of the day) would be perfect. They do love a bit of sun but highs of 30c will be a bit tough on them, whereas lows of 5 at night are fine.

ozzy chooks likes this.
  9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    :oops: My bad. Definitely shade. Or dappled/semi shade if you have it.

ozzy chooks likes this.
  10. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Ah that makes sense now.

Yes shade or part shade is easier on them then blazing sun.

ozzy chooks likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: