Which Paint Brand Worked For You?????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hanh3197, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    I want to paint the interior and exterior of my coop and I don't have a clue which brand is safe to use on the inside and durable on the outside.
    Which brand(s) worked for you and your chickens??? [​IMG] Thanks

2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I used Behr Paint from Home Depot. The brand doesn't much matter, just make sure you use an exterior acrylic latex, that will be non toxic. I owned my own painting business.

This is a pic of my coop before I built the run.

[​IMG]

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:X's 2 on Behr brand paint...good stuff!

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I also used Behr paint. It was so thick it covered wonderfully. The lighter color I used was just the regular exterior and the red I used for the trim was the ultra (I guess red is harder to cover other colors even though it was only going over a brownish red).

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Brand doesn't matter at all. I would suggest latex based.

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Go with any quality exterior latex paint, I use high gloss white for interior for light and scrubability

7. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Interior left bare, exterior was left over Behr Deck Stain.

[​IMG]

8. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks to this board mentioning it, we were able to get that Behr paint of the mismatched for only $5 a gallon. Its gray but that will be just perfect. They also had red that would have been awesome for the outside, but we're siding it to match the house.

9. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    For anyone who paints their coop/run with red, be careful in your selection. Red is actually a very pigment-poor, translucent color and is difficult to cover unless a) you use a tinted primer or b) select a red that is not pigment-poor. The color cards will have a mark like an asterisk or a cross next to the color name if it would require tinted primer. Either way, I highly recommend using primer. You only need one coat and it will promote adhesion and help cover and help your paint job last a lot longer. It is one extra step that will pay off big time!

Someone said brand doesn't matter. I wouldn't entirely agree with that. There is some real garbage out there. You're always better off (coop, home, business) to use a reputable brand. I recommend Behr because when I was in the business it was the best for the money. I used Valspar (customer bought their own paint) by Lowes and it was garbage. I ended up having to do three instead of two coats of paint. Not worth the money saved if you have to spend all that extra time painting.

10. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That was pretty much what the guy in the paint section at home depot said. That's why he mixed up my red trim paint in the behr ultra primer and paint in one stuff and my light blue in the regular exterior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by