Which plastic egg carton do you recommend?

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I would like to use the clear plastic cartons as it makes for a nice presentation of colored eggs.

The one plastic carton I have is a 3-section design that is very study when closed, but a PIA to open to get out eggs. If you use plastic cartons, which do you use and where do you buy them.

There are two sites you can check out. I believe they both sell the plastic boxes. Eggcartons.com and eggboxes.com. Personally I dont care for the plastic,seems like when you pick it up if its not totally closed feels like its going to dump the whole load. Like you said its a PIA open,if your working with limited counter space the third section causes a problem. My wife will bring the plastic ones home from work that someone gives her,those are quickly loaded and sold. Always put a rubber band around it just in case it opens,when you grab the end of it I've had one open. But like you said makes a nice presentation more so for a variety of colored eggs. Maybe I will change my tune when I get EEs,BCMs and maybe a couple of Leghorns next year. ( Dam chicken math.
barnie.gif
)

Last edited:
I don't like the plastic cartons for the same reason as PP. The eggs rattle around and there is very little padding at the bottom. And they don't snap together well after the first opening. And they don't stay closed after they've been oped a few times...

I loved the idea of presenting my beautifully different colored eggs, but just go with the pulp cartons now.

Good Luck!

I don't like the 3 section type, you are right, PIA.

I have the clear ones from eggcartons.com, both the labeled dozen and the unlabled 6 round one. I get more comments on my 6 egger, people just haven't ever really seen this type of egg carton before.

I can't speak to the jiggling around point, because my girls eggs are pretty small still. I am hoping they will be fine once they are full size.

Last edited:
I don't like the clear plastic cartons either for all of the reasons stated above.

I much prefer the plain Styrofoam cartons. Easy to use, they provide a degree of cushioning and insulation and most importantly they can be washed and reused.

I've been ordering mine from eggboxes.com but the price differential between the various suppliers can be pretty small. If one of them happens to be having a good sale on the cartons you want then go with them.

OKAY! You all convinced me why to NOT use the plastic ones. May be use the plastic egg cartons for display purposes only!

Thanks for everyones input!

Quote:
+1 My DH has made me shelve all my plastic cartons and switch to styrofoam (we don't sell eggs- just give them to family). He really can't stand them and neither can I.

I had to keep a rubber band around them and if you bang them against something, forget it!

I get mine from eggboxes.com.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom