Which Polish breed is best for egg production?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sierrarod, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sierrarod

sierrarod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    I understand Polish are a good white egg laying breed that are not flighty. But there are so many different types. If I am looking for good production and large eggs, which variety is best, or is the specific line you buy from what matters? If I buy a show quality bird for my son's 4-H project will it be a poor producer? Just trying to decide which route to go.

Thanks!
    Kisa

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Okay 1st off most Polish chickens I've seen are pretty flighty, but you do get an occaisional one that is not, just depends on how old they are when you get them mostly. I get mine a day old (2 days) and handle them alot during the time I keep them in the brooder and that helps tame them down some, but sometimes no matter how much handling is done some never tame down.
    Okay, for the laying part they are fairly good layers, I've not seen any that lay like a Leghorn but thye don't miss too many days between eggs.
    Varieites: I've had White Crested Black, Buff Laced, Silver Laced, and Golden Laced. They have all laid about the same but maybe a few more from the WC Black.

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I have a flock of GLP and they are not flighty. I bought them when they were already started and they "blossomed" after I bought them. They come to me, follow me, and let me pick them up just like my other breeds. They lay pretty good in the summer but mine have slacked off this winter. I think it is because I did not provide extra light for them. One of them started laying again this past week so I hope the others start up soon. I want more babies [​IMG] . Good luck in your decision. I think most of then color variations would lay approximately the same.

4. sierrarod

sierrarod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    Thank you! That is helpful.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    In most cases Polish should not be flighty. I've gotten Polish from 4 different hatcheries and one breeder, and only one hen total was skittish, mainly because I never gave her much attention/socialization when she was young. Yes, their crests can alter behavior though [​IMG]

I would say your best bets are with White Crested Blacks, they'll do FAR better in the show ring, as most are better quality, and they're in most cases calmer. They're very prolific layers too if gotten from a hatchery. From a breeder, I've no experience. My breeder bought Polish were Tolbunts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by