1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which predators do I need to worry about in VA?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 20, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I live in Southside Virginia and am trying to figure out which predators that I need to be worried about in this area. I've read about all of the different animals that attack/eat chickens, but I don't know which to watch out for. I know raccoons, possums, coyotes, foxes, owls, hawks, dogs, and snakes. What else do I need to be concerned about? I keep hearing I need to watch out for weasels, but then other people tell me we don't have any in our area. Do we have weasels around here?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  3. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Hi, i'm in VA, main ones around my area are foxes and hawks (which I never saw any until I got my chooks) our dogs and cats could care less about the chooks but keep an eye on strays... you never know what they'll do...

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That was perfect! Thanks Dawn! By the way, according to that website we do have weasels where I live. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by