which president had a pet turkey?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by frankenchick, Feb 17, 2009.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Our special ed. class is trying to find the answer. I had no luck with Ask Jeeves or Wikipedia, so I thought I'd go to the REAL experts. [​IMG]

2. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    I found:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_president_was_the_first_to_pardon_a_turkey :

Each year, the President of the United States grants an official pardon to a Thanksgiving turkey presented to the White House by the National Turkey Federation. The tradition dates back to 1947, when Harry Truman issued the first turkey pardon. It is said that he got the idea from President Lincoln, who refused to kill a holiday turkey after his son Tad became attached to the bird. The traditional ceremony is held the day before Thanksgiving in the Rose Garden. (A second bird is kept out of sight in case the first turkey can't go on.) After being pardoned, the turkey is given to Kidwell Farm, a petting zoo at Frying Pan Park in Herndon, Virginia.​

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Which U.S. president had a cat named Bob, a turkey named Jack and a dog named Jib? A) George Washington B) Thomas Jefferson C) Abraham Lincoln D) Theodore Roosevelt?
    Email
    Print
    Comment()
    Sharing
    RSS Which U.S. president had a cat named Bob, a turkey named Jack and a dog named Jib? A) George Washington B) Thomas Jefferson C) Abraham Lincoln D) Theodore Roosevelt?

Answer: C) Abraham Lincoln

I found this.

ETA: heres the link. http://www.ask.com/bar?q=which+pres...com/pages/landing/?blockID=126026&feedID=1022

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
  5. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
  6. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Thanks. I figured it was Lincoln; Wikipedia said he spared a turkey his son didn't want him to kill.

I mean, what do you do with a turkey you can't eat? Name him, of course! [​IMG] That's how it works at our place!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by