1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which products do I get?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peep-a-boo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Hello! I'm getting my chick order in Sept. and I'm getting things ready by buying a little at a time. So while I was at TSC, I saw a bunch of things that look like it would be good to have. Can you tell me if it's needed or if it's any good?

Manna Pro Life-Lytes Water Electrolyte - chicks will not be vaccinated, will be coming via mail, and I live in a hot & humid area.

Manna Pro Scaly Leg Protector - it sounds gross and prevention may be the way to go.

Omega Ultra Egg (supports strong shells, increases omega-3 level, enhance brilliant plumage) - sounds good to me.

Duramycin-10

Sav-a-chick Electrolytes & vitamin supplement

Manna Pro Egg Cleanser - I think I will be washing my eggs.

I've never raised chickens before and I'm super excited!! Any help or opinions are welcome!

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

I would definitely go with electrolytes, which kind is up to you. But make sure you follow the directions on the package. The egg stuff I would wait on until they got a little older. As far as the medicines go, its your preference.

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I got my chicks from a TSC, and after the first day of putting only a bit of sugar in the water, we started using the electrolytes. I plan to switch to apple cider vinegar once I put them out in their coop.

It has worked great for us! Everyone is growing well. Ours isn't the sav-a-chick - it's just a general livestock electrolyte mix.

4. Imakedo

Imakedo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    One of the things I'm looking to get once I'm up and running is a bag of Food Grade DE. Stuff is supposed to help keep the place dry and mite free.

5. Imakedo

Mar 29, 2012
    What does the apple vinegar do for the chickens?

6. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Well it helps keep the water from getting slimy because it's slightly acidic, and we plan on using a tank with chicken nipples for watering. The ACV is supposed to help clean out their system and flush their kidneys, and boost their immune system, if you use the organic unfiltered kind. I have read lots of posts where people swear by it - try a post search for "ACV" or "Apple cider vinegar" and see what you find!

7. Imakedo

Mar 29, 2012
    I'll have to look into that.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    You don't need any of that stuff. At least not yet and maybe never will.

Since the chicks are being shipped to you and may be stressed when they arrive I'd mix two tablespoons of vinegar and a cup of plain white sugar in a gallon of water. Let them drink that for the first seven or eight hours. Afterwards dump it, rinse, then refill with fresh water containing two tablespoons of vinegar but no sugar.

You'll need some fresh chick starter on hand. Have it in the brooder when you put the birds in. On top of the chick starter sprinkle a thick layer of plain old rolled oats. As you take each chick out of the box dip its beak (not its entire head) into the water then set them down on top of the food. I use the bottom half of an egg carton for this, the eighteen count type. Dip each ones beak then set them down on top of the food. They should begin to eat almost immediately. If you have any that are weak or listless out of the box you may have to dip its beak several times and if they are limp you may need to give them the sweet water with a dropper.

Afterwards make sure they are staying sufficiently warm, but not too warm. Keep their water clean and fresh, and their feed plentiful. Keep putting the rolled oats on top of their feed for at least two days. They help to prevent pasting. After forty eight hours you can stop using it and just let them eat their regular starter. Keep their litter dry and fluffy. Wet, heavily soiled litter is an invitation to disaster.

9. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I agree.... you don't need any of that. Your hens need water and feed, that's it. Keep the brooder, the waterer, and the feeder clean and you shouldn't have any problems. I do recommend you use a medicated starter feed like Purina Medicated Start and Grow.

10. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Thank you everyone! We're on a tight budget (which is why I'm spreading some of the upfront costs over several months). I'm glad I consulted this forum first.
    AT Hagan - thx for the step by step care instructions. My order is very small (2 LF and 2 bantams), so any loss would be a big loss.
    Aeropennchick - I'll try the ACV too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by