Which pullet will lay first? Guesses!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lisaleesa546, Oct 5, 2016.

1. lisaleesa546

lisaleesa546 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2016
    I have 6 pullets that are all 26 weeks old. Bought them when they were 20 weeks. Non have started laying yet but I'm finally starting to see some signs of maturity. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first time raising chickens. I haven't noticed any other signs from any of them. No squatting although they don't like to be touched anyway (not sure if that makes a difference). Haven't seen anyone checking out the nest box yet.

Any guesses how much longer I need to (patiently) wait? And who do you think will be the first to lay?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Probably the 2 in the second picture and the Gold Laced Wyandotte.
    Have you checked the space between the pelvic bones? More than 2 finger width and they're getting close.

3. lisaleesa546

lisaleesa546 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2016

Thanks for the input! I checked a few of the birds (one of the RIR and one wyandotte) a few weeks ago and the bones were just barely one finger apart. Maybe I'll start rechecking.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Check weekly. They can't pass an egg as long as the space is that narrow.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your pullets do not appear to be ready yet...another few weeks...I never physically inspect my birds pelvis.....Or their vent for that matter...They will lay soon enough...Only the hen knows when she will lay that egg...

Cheers!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, I can't resist.....The one who will lay first, is the one who will lay first!! hehehe.

But now that you've started a thread, you will get and egg within 48 hours.

All hog wash and pure conjecture, but it made me chuckle, hope you got a grin too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by