which quail lays the biggest eggs?

pringle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Pepperell,MA
I was wondering what quail lays the biggest eggs?And how many of em too.I was thinking the jumbo brown coturnix or the jumbo white coturnix but im not to sure.I plan on selling them at farmers market.Any info would be appreciated,thx.

I know this was already mentioned in your other thread, mainly because I'm one that mentioned it
big_smile.png

Jumbo anything should lay larger eggs than other quail. My whites are about half the size of my jumbo birds, but their eggs are almost identical in size.

There are some 'strains' that lay larger eggs, LilRalphieRoosmama has birds that consistently lay double yolkers. So you might want to check with her and see if she has any eggs for hatching available.
smile.png

Thx for the info,appreciate it I guess ima just get jumbo brown coturnix,they lay good and I can butcher em at a good wieght too unless you know any other breed thats bigger then them.

oh ok thx.Im thinking of keeping my laying hens I hatch out for a year then butchering them.Then ill have a second generaition once I hatch out some more in the bator.

Quote:
A YEAR? YOU'LL HAVE MORE THAN 1 GENERATION OF HATCHING EGGS--- IN A YEAR YOU COULD BE WORKING ON THE 5TH OR 6TH GENERATION HATCHING EGGS WITH THE COTURNIX

AND FOR THE RECORD--- THE BIGGEST QUAIL EGGS ARE THOSE FROM 2-3 YR OLD BUTLER BOB WHITES(MAYBE CHARLIES SLATE BELT MONSTER BOBS? IDK YET)--- THEY GO THE SIZE OF MATURE PHEASANT EGGS.

Well during that year ima be butchering all the ones I hatch out,but at the end ill save the last batch for egg laying,sorry I caused some cunfusion.

Quote:
BYC===RANDYANDMEGS

BUT THEY'RE OUT OF SEASON NOW
sad.png
THE PROBLEM WITH BOBS IS THAT THEY LAY WAY FEWER EGGS THAN COTURNIX--- THEY LAY LATE SPRING, AND MOST WILL LAY AGAIN LATE SUMMER. ANYWHERE FROM 20-40 OR SO EGGS PER HEN. AND ONCE YOU HATCH THEM YOU'LL MORE THAN LIKELY BE A YEAR OR SO GETTING ANY EGGS FROM THEM--- THEY ARE HUGE, BUT SLOW GROWERS--- NOT AT ALL LIKE COTURNIX.

awww then I guess I better get coturnix becouse ill need em for selling unfertilized eggs at farmers market on saturdays.

Back
Top Bottom