Which Quail to grow for restaurants? GGbobs? Jumbo CTX? TX A&M?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Msbear, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I have tried my hand at quail in small numbers in the past and really liked them. The northern bobs were small and I was a first timer. I lost a bunch directly after hatching but, thought they were relatively easy after that. The jumbo coturnix were super easy and grew so fast!

I have chatted with a couple local restaurants and have them sold for about $6 per bird dressed and they will buy every couple months or so. There is a mennonite processing facility down the road that will charge me $2 a bird to process and less if I do larger numbers.

My queston: What type of quail is the fastest growing, most cost effecient and best tasting bird? I know there might be different ones that have one or more of these qualities... I guess which do you feel might be the best all around product?

Thanks so much, Erin

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My vote is for the Jumbo Coturnix. They grow super fast to a good size, & are egg laying machines, the hatch rate is excellent, easy to raise, & don't have as many health problems as some other breeds.

3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Definatly jumbo coturnix.But try and get really good stock or else it wont be "jumbo" at all.Are you skinning or plucking?

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I could do both skinning and plucking. I could possibly do the skinning myself but am not USDA certified so... [​IMG] I was thinking jumbo coturnix as well. Who on here has the goods?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. Sir Birdaholic

I have 20 females & 5 males. They are still laying like mad, but the males rarely whistle now that it's cooler weather, so I doubt if the eggs are fertile.

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    We'll be working on the set up all winter... like (4) 4x4 pens with a couple larger grow out areas. We plan to elevate them 2' for easy access and leave then open on the south side. Do you all do wire bottoms? or half and half? for some bedding. What about nesting boxes? I was thinking about actual boxes that would be covered so they could use them to cuddle up in if the weather is super cold... and have outside access to them for egg collecting.

Thanks for any imput

7. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    If you are going to pluck then get a&m's becouse they have white feathers which makes the skin look more appealing as it does not have any black/brown dots the feathers of a brown leave.I dont have nesting boxes as the quail seem to lay there eggs anywere they want.Do wire as it keeps the eggs clean and the birds healthier.I like to keep a sandbox in becouse they love to play in it and it gives there feet a rest from the wire.During the winter throw some hay in there and they will stay warm,if the pen has wire sides throw a tarp over it to keep out the wind.Little boxes to snuggle up in seems fine but mine dont use them.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Mine run in a 16x24 pen underneath my pigeons. I put out a good layer of hay, & they burrow to keep warm & make nests.

9. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Definately the Coturnix.Best variety would be the Jumbo if you skin them.My husband has a way of skinning them in no time flat.Takse him a minute or so each.The TRUE Texas A&M is great too if your going to pluck,plus they have light meat.I have Jumbo XLD's and Jumbo Texas A&M's that are raised for meat because they not only grow fast enough to butcher at a very young age,but they also matured by 8 weeks to be producing more.
    Bobwhites are a lot wilder,take much longer to grow(thus costing more time and feed),and tend to be cannabalistic.

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You Should Probably Check With Your Market Base As To Which They Want

Do You Want Fast? Or Taste? There Is A Difference.... I Dont See A Restraunt Paying 6 Bucks A Piece For Coturnix Quail When They Can Buy Them From A Commercial Supplier For 3 Tops... They Are Even Sold In Grocery Stores. As Are Bobs Which Are Far More Expensive. The Difference Is Time And Taste. While Coturnix Are Good Eating, They Pale In Comparison To Bobs, The Flavor Fiels Is So Slanted There Its More Like A Ski Slope Really... Bobs Your Looking At 24-30 Wks Minimum For Market Weight Birds. Whereas Coturnix Are The Roaches Of The Quail World And In 30 Wks You Could Be Processing Your 3rd Or 4th Generations Already

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by