Which rare breed LF should I get into? Suggestions, please!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by awesomefowl, Dec 3, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Okay, start suggesting! I have Seramas I am breeding but would like a Large Fowl project as well...heritage, cool color, or something rare and different that can withstand cold.
    I really like:

Lavender Orps
    Hedemora
    ? ? ? ?

What else are good?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. awesomefowl

Anyone?

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    My suggestion is to do a lot more research. No one can decide what is best for you.

4. awesomefowl

True, true..but I want some suggestions.

5. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    What are your goals? What are you looking for in a breed? The ones you suggested don't seem to be good starteers. The Lavender Orp will take dedication to improve it breeeding true and type. Hedemoras are lovely but require cool climate and probably more expenisve that what you have in mind.

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Delawares! They're a critically endangered heritage American breed! They're a gorgeous with bird with black markings that needs the dedication of breeders everywhere to bring this once ruler of the broiler industry back to it's former glory.

[​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Lav Orpingtons aren't a "rare breed," remember, they're a color - And not all that rare anymore. Also it's a project color, so, it would basically be a project, erm, color. [​IMG]

I would suggest any of these, as they're all amazing and a rare breed:

La Fleche, Redcap, Houdan, Spitzhauben, Brabanter, Andalusian, Shamo, Asil, Thai, Ga Noi, Brazilian, Cubalaya, Sumatra, Crevecoeur, Rose comb Rhode Island Red, Rhode Island White, - there's a lot of rare breeds out there that need more attention. [​IMG]

And then there's rare colors, yes:

Tolbunt Polish

Coronation Sussex

Golden Salmon Marans

Lavender Orpingtons (but you know that [​IMG] )

Crele Polish

Buff/Gold/Silver/Blue Laced Red Brahma

Citreon Hamburg

8. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    What is critical about a Deleware? They were only meat birds which were rplaced by bigger ones.

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:True heritage Delawares are very rare. Hatchery Delawares are common. If you go to the Official Heritage Breed thread I am sure there are pictures of "real" Delawares there. You will see the difference right away. [​IMG]

10. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    not asking about hatcher stock vis-a-vis heritage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by