1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which Red Laced Cochin should we keep?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by toomanypeeps, Nov 19, 2011.

1. toomanypeeps

toomanypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The time/ date stamp is obviously wrong, so please disregard it, thanks.

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    dunno much about cochins, but to me, the first one is much prettier than the second. Better lacng, better comb, richer color...hard to tell conformation from these pics though.

3. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    the frist bird has better color and better laceing ! i would go with the frist one for sure .

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Neither one has good type. The variety is Golden Laced not Red laced.

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    but wouldn't one still be better than the other?

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Not really

7. toomanypeeps

toomanypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Sorry, I was having a brain drain day...I know they are Golden-laced. They belong to my daughter. We got three chicks from Mcmurray's. Two ended up roosters(of course). I will try to post a pic of the hen. We have to keep one of the boys, I just wondered which was better. Failing in that maybe the one that was less bad:D

8. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:x2, plus the first one has a better comb than the second [​IMG] These are PQ not SQ

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I think the first one is much prettier. Even though they are pet quality, not SQ. It would be very difficult to find a SQ bird amongst hatchery bought chickens.

The first one seems better to me, but what do I know? [​IMG] I would trust the judge above, if he says neither are to type.

Pick the one that has better personality traits if you want to keep one of them. Which one is nicer to the hens and nicer to you. Breeding bad temperament is not a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by