Which roo has to go the Barred Rock or the Cochin

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mr.Grantly, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Mr.Grantly

Mr.Grantly Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I have a Barred Rock rooster and a black cochin rooster. I have 1 barred rock hen, one silver/black cochin and 2 iso hens. I had a beatiful silver cochin hen until a cat got into our temperary pen.( Then the stray cat met his maker). My questions are

will the barred rock be to hard on the little cocins
    can the little cochin service the big barred rock?
    I'm wanting a Barred/ Cochin cross and does one lock nicer than the other. Either with a Barred or Cochin rooster?

I don't have room for both and i'm going to take one of them back to the ladie we bought them from in exchange for a hen(because they were not sexed when we bought them).

Thanks for the help

Grant

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If the cochin is not bantam, I would keep the cochin.

3. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    funny, but my bantam cochin has been jumping my standard sized girls and doesn't seem to have much of a problem with it. the girls haven't been upset by it either. but everyone is still young and just starting to lay eggs.

i'd prefer the cochin since they have such a nice personality. but i am not sure on the barred rock's personality. i had a silkie X BR once but never kept him long enough to see how he would be with the girls. (was nice to me!)

how are they with people? and how have they been to the hens? if one seems gentler on them than the other and still ok around people that is the one i would prefer to keep.

if both get along together you might actually be ok to keep them both together. one is the dominant roo while the other is the lookout for the other.

4. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    The 2 cockerels i had that were raised together didn't have a problem. one was eaten, and I think I need another roo, but at this age don't know how to introduce another. i would tink of keeping both unless problems arise

5. Mr.Grantly

Mr.Grantly Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    so who will be the dominate rooster ?. My guess is the barred rock due to his size

Thanks Grant

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by