1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which roo should I keep? (and should I keep one at all)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kulyks, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Kulyks

Kulyks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    I have a flock of 17 chickens that are about three and a half months old. Some I bought from a breeder (black australorps), and some I hatched from an incubator from eggs from my grandmother's flock. Right now, I see that I lucked out - only five of them turned out to be roos (the rest are pullets). Three of them are roos from my grandmother's flock, and two are from the breeder. Here is my dilemma. The black australorps I bought are very good layers and broody hens, I heard. I would like that in my flock, so I should probably keep one of the roos from the breeder, right?
    However the rooster that is on the top of the pecking order is one of the ones from my grandmother, my only white one. He's the largest, he grew the fastest, he's the fastest pecker, etc. Plus, when I let my chickens out to graze, he's the one that's most responsible, always looking around and being the first to alert the chickens. He would be an awesome rooster to keep. So here is my dilemma - should I keep one of the Australorp roosters, who are both not as good roosters as my white one, for the sake of preserving the breed, or should I keep the good rooster, (who will be very useful to us since we live in a kind of wild area - lots of raccoons, a fox, many hawks - I've already had two chicks stolen.) ?

Thanks.

2. Kulyks

Feb 28, 2010
    Oh, and the other thing - I have a large backyard, but where I live, chickens are not allowed. So I'm not sure whether this will even be a question. My neighbors are very nice, though, and don't mind, but maybe I won't be keeping a rooster at all, even though I really want to.

3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Keep the good rooster. If your neighbors don't mind him, keep him! Sounds like you've got a nice roo!

4. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    Keep the Australorp to the breed line. I am sure the alpha male can be replaced.
    That's what I would do.

5. Kulyks

Feb 28, 2010
    That's what I was leaning toward - keeping him for the breed line.

6. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    keep the good roo - they are hard to come by... though you won't truely know their personality til they are around 10 months old.

7. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

If chickens aren't allowed then my question would be why keep a rooster? Do you only have one neighbor? Rooster's crows are loud and will be heard.

8. Kulyks

Feb 28, 2010
    I have several neighbors, but they are all enthusiastic about the idea of keeping chickens and I assume they wouldn't mind a rooster, either - though I may have to ask them. And of course, I plan to butter them up with fresh eggs as soon as my chickens start laying, which will be somewhere around October...
    And as of last week, my roosters started crowing, and they've been crowing randomly throughout the day ever since. I haven't been able to catch them, so I don't know who it is, though I suspect the large white one.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Keep one of the roosters from the breeder's line. As soon as you remove that white top rooster, another will take his place and start doing that job.

They don't right now because he'll whip them if they try to take over his duties and rights. I'd try to balance keeping the fastest growing with getting the one with the best temperament.

10. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Since you have 15 and you want to keep a black australorps for the breed and the white roo sounds like a good one, why not keep both? If your neighbors dont seem to mind, cuz really good roos are hard to find like heather112588, if not both i would keep the good one, who cares if they are purebred or not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by