Which roo to keep in mixed young flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MamaLou, Mar 14, 2013.

1. MamaLou

MamaLou New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Hello BYC Peeps! Long time reader and first time poster here, looking for some advice.

After going without chickens for about a year (our two old-aged Javas lived a good long life until finally succumbing to a predator attack last year), we've finally returned to the world of chickens with some new young stock. Purchased before they were sexed, we have seven total: 3 Splash Americaunas (2 pullets and a cockerel), 2 Wyandottes (one black laced pullet and one blue laced cockerel) and 2 Orpingtons (one black cockerel and one lav hen). We would like to keep just one roo and re-home the other two. I don't know which cockerel to keep! The Americauna, the BLRW or the black Orp?

My three year old son is especially fond of "the black one" (the Orp) and he has a name already, so I am leaning towards keeping dear "Plucky"; but I hate to see that beautiful BLRW cockerel go. Also, with a mixed flock such as this, are there any advantages to a roo of one particular breed over the others in terms of the social mix? Breeding? I don't plan to do much breeding; but when a hen goes broody, I'd like to let her do her thing. I don't mind mixed breed chickens at all.

Thank you,
    MamaLou

2. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    I say pick the one you like best with the best temperament

3. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    X2

4. MamaLou

MamaLou New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Thank you! Do you think we could be successful keeping two roos? The Black Orpington and the BLRW? I've heard of some roos getting along and both breeds have a good rep for being friendly (although I've heard a couple of stories of Wyandotte hostility, it seems rare).

5. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    you might be able to but I wouldn't suggest it. roosters need their own hens and a usual number is about 15 per rooster. I think you would ending up with some fighting boys.

6. MamaLou

MamaLou New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    I guess we'll keep the black orp. Anyone want a pretty Wyandotte or a splash Ameraucana cockerel?

7. Can I see a picture of the 2 roosters? Oh and where do you live depending where I might be able to take one. If u live near me I will still need to think about it. I dont know if I have enough hens for another rooster.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by