Which roo to keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cats Critters, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I only have room for two roos, I have my two adults
    Chipmunk:
    [​IMG]
    and Romeo:
    [​IMG]
    Chipmunk is staying, but I'm not a big fan of Romeo, but my little sister loves him [​IMG]
    and 4 juveniles, 18wks Monday,but about 15 weeks in Pictures
    CM/EE and WL/EE-Kernel (white one)
    [​IMG]
    EE
    [​IMG]
    and the last one I don't have a resent picture of but here is one at about 9wks (WL/EE):
    [​IMG]
    I love Kernel, CM/EE is pretty would be lovely to breed mutts off of but I just don't care that much for him, EE is pretty but I'm not that attached, and WL/EE is pretty and would be fun to breed mutts off of but again not attatched.
    Plus I have some chicks under my broodys who look roo but their wild, so If none of them are stunning their going to go.
    My dad's cousin is going to take a roo(lost hers) and everyone else would need to find new home or be butchered [​IMG] So who would you chose?

2. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Keep Chipmunk....he looks looks like he will be a good protector of your flock.

3. Cats Critters

He is so an less something big happens he is staying but, which other one to keep [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. Stazia86

Stazia86 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    I have a thing for barred rocks, and if i get the chance i will be getting one for my EE girls. what pretty chicks they would make. I say keep chipmunk yes! he's very pretty, and i would personally keep Romeo as a backup. the others move 'em on out!
    that's only my opinion, they are you beauties of course, so pick which ones yu feel comfortable with. [​IMG]

5. Cats Critters

have a thing for barred rocks, and if i get the chance i will be getting one for my EE girls. what pretty chicks they would make.

Just so you know all chicks from a BR roo will be barred,here is one of mine Pullet EE/BR (have 3 like her but with out muffs and a little skinnier ):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  6. buck431397

buck431397 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Pilesgrove, NJ
    Keep the one you love!!!!![​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I vote for Chipmunk and Romeo. (not that it counts for much)

8. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'd definitely keep Chipmonk.
    The other one I'd keep is your red EE. He is beautiful and will pass on some nice color to hens....and hopefully to their eggs.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I had two almost identical RIR roos.....the answer was simple. One bit me all the time, the other didn't.
    So me I pick the one with the best personality.

10. Cats Critters

Some more added thoughts on some of the roos
    Romeo: also is afraid of everything
    The 4 Juveniles: are all Chipmunks babies, so their also passing on some of his genes (not hatching any in the near future though, don't have the room)
    I'm also trying to think who would be good to give to my dad's cousin (she has 4 what she thinks are WL, hens) and who would be likely to find a home where unless they attack they won't be eaten. Anyone near me is falling in love with Romeo or the Juveniles let me know they might be available!

So far the votes are (and yes they are helping me think):
    Chipmunk: 6
    Romeo: 2
    CM/EE: 0
    WL/EE (white): 2
    EE: 1
    WL/EE: 0

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by