Which roo would you keep?

blumenfarmer

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
Hello! I ended up with 9 out of 12 Roos in a mixed batch of unsexed chicks from February. I have another 10 pullets in the brooder so I’ll end up having 13 hens in total, but I’m wondering about keeping one of the Roos (or two? How many can I keep with that many hens?)
The Roos are the following breeds: barred rock, buff Orpington, lavender Orpington, speckled Sussex, welsummer, golden laced Wyandotte, barnevelder. Any particular breeds that you’d recommend keeping that you find especially friendly?

Hello! I ended up with 9 out of 12 Roos in a mixed batch of unsexed chicks from February. I have another 10 pullets in the brooder so I’ll end up having 13 hens in total, but I’m wondering about keeping one of the Roos (or two? How many can I keep with that many hens?)
The Roos are the following breeds: barred rock, buff Orpington, lavender Orpington, speckled Sussex, welsummer, golden laced Wyandotte, barnevelder. Any particular breeds that you’d recommend keeping that you find especially friendly?
Orphingtons are supposed to be friendly and Wyandotte’s are know to be a bit mean, but you may get a lucky nice one...I would say to just keep one rooster, and I recommend just keeping the nicest rooster

I have a one year old Buff Orpington. He's not a very nice roo. He will either learn that I am the boss, or end up being culled.

He was the best of the three straight run that ended up all being boys. They other two were culled at 4 months.

I keep hearing how nice and friendly and gentle this breed is... so far, my experience says otherwise, or I got a bad lot.

I have a one year old Buff Orpington. He's not a very nice roo. He will either learn that I am the boss, or end up being culled.

He was the best of the three straight run that ended up all being boys. They other two were culled at 4 months.

I keep hearing how nice and friendly and gentle this breed is... so far, my experience says otherwise, or I got a bad lot.
I am not saying ALL orphingtons are friendly. They just tend to be more docile like EEs as well

For sure just whichever seems nicest, my personal opinion is lavender orp as im a sucker for lavenders lol

Keep the friendliest. We had two roosters, Sam an Orpington RIR cross, is afraid of us, and whenever he sees a large bred in the sky, he immediately leads all the ladies into the bushes. He did this once after a HUGE Eagle flogged one of our ducks, probably saving the hens lives. He does beat up Sunshine, the sweetest hen ever. He wont leave her alone. I don't know if its over mating or what, but it almost looks like dominance.
The other roo was a Columbina Wyandotte cross named Cosmo. He would attack us, and he over mated the females. He runs from everything, never seemed to protect the ladies though he was never in a situation were he had to.
Well, Cosmo tasted amazing! Sam is still doing his job and protecting the hens as he should.
The personality that Sam has is what I would look for in a rooter.

We’ve had barred rocks, buff Orpington, and speckled sussexes, and their all super friendly, a specially if you hangg out with them and pet them! 😊

Back
Top Bottom