Which roo would you keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MeatKing, May 26, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I realize that each roo is different. I ordered 15 chicks sexed. So far two are roo's for sure. A barred Rock and a buff orphington.
    The other female's are barred rock, white rocks, partridge rock, austrolorp's and 1 buff orphington. What do you think would be best personality plus what are the best mixes..

Thank-you all in advance

2. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I really can't speak to the personality of the roos per se (my roos are Welsummers), but my BR hens are my favorites for personality.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would let them grow and pic the handsomest rooster. Both breeds are awesome! I love a barred rock, but I love the soft feathers and the fluffiness of the orphingtons.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i'd go with the orphington- my first roo was a BR and a mean guy, all my orphingtons are sweet and not aggressive- course it depends on their personality too, and once they start paying attention to the ladies

5. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    All of my BR roos have been mean ol fellers...I would try the BO if I had the chance

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, go for the BO roo!

7. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    let me tell you that you we have a BR roo for sure and what i think is maybe a BO roo (hasn't begun to crow yet). the BR guy is mean as fire, runs from you like crazy, and generally goes ape when you get close to him. if you reach into the coop to get one of the ladies, he'll peck the fire out of you if you get close to him. the BO that i think is a roo will sit in my lap and eat cottage cheese, yogurt, bread, etc. if we keep one of them, i know which one it will be, and i think you can tell from my description here.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You'll want to keep the BO.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd keep the BO. My BR was mean.

10. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    this is not making me feel so great about my keeping my br roo, i can tell you...maybe he'll be the exception [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by