which roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by slackwater, Jul 16, 2010.

1. slackwater

slackwater Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I have three SCM cockerals...one of them will have the priviledge of joining the flock and eventually fathering olive-eggers. None of them have any particular character flaws, all have feathered legs. Recommendations on who stays and who goes to freezer camp?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. the one by the feeder in the image

3. Dominickers

Dominickers Hatching

Jul 17, 2010
    I'm no expert, but I would go with one in the last picture. Of course, it may just be a lighting issue with the camera, but the last one appears to have the richest colors in his face and good feathering. I see the coloring as a sign of overall health, but I could be totally wrong. There you go, my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Personally, I would choose according to temperament. Who's the nicest?

5. slackwater

slackwater Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I can honestly say that none of them stand out as far as personality is concerned. The one in the last picture is perhaps the most...active? The other two tend to "cuddle" together in the corner of the pen. I had to get them up to take their pics individually. None have shown any sign of aggression.

6. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I don't know.....but I LOVE your BLRWs!!!! [​IMG]

7. slackwater

slackwater Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    LOL - they're not supposed to be the focus of the photos [​IMG]

8. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    I would say the ones in the first or second pictures should go to freezer camp. I think the last one looks very healthy and i think he has the most looks. [​IMG]

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I like roo number 3 as your keeper.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    #2 is the only one with a five point comb. I would be feeling their breast muscle and see which is the heaviest, meatiest bird. Even if you don't want to eat them, someone else somewhere will.

Edit to add, you don't have to narrow it down to just one, right now. Sometimes it is easiest to choose the worst one, and remove him from the flock, and then you can compare just the two. I would unload the scrawniest one first.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by