which roo?

slackwater

Songster
9 Years
Feb 1, 2010
SoMD
I have three SCM cockerals...one of them will have the priviledge of joining the flock and eventually fathering olive-eggers. None of them have any particular character flaws, all have feathered legs. Recommendations on who stays and who goes to freezer camp?

DSC_8131.jpg

DSC_8130.jpg

DSC_8126.jpg

Thanks!

I'm no expert, but I would go with one in the last picture. Of course, it may just be a lighting issue with the camera, but the last one appears to have the richest colors in his face and good feathering. I see the coloring as a sign of overall health, but I could be totally wrong. There you go, my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I can honestly say that none of them stand out as far as personality is concerned. The one in the last picture is perhaps the most...active? The other two tend to "cuddle" together in the corner of the pen. I had to get them up to take their pics individually. None have shown any sign of aggression.

#2 is the only one with a five point comb. I would be feeling their breast muscle and see which is the heaviest, meatiest bird. Even if you don't want to eat them, someone else somewhere will.

Edit to add, you don't have to narrow it down to just one, right now. Sometimes it is easiest to choose the worst one, and remove him from the flock, and then you can compare just the two. I would unload the scrawniest one first.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom