1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which roost is best?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenKatie, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ChickenKatie

ChickenKatie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    I'm in the process of building my coop, and am installing the roosts now. I was going to use a 1X2 board for one and a sturdy branch for the other. I had heard that if you live in northern climates, like I do, having a flat board roost can help prevent frost-bite as they can sit completely on their feet and keep them warm. I wanted to see if anyone has any comments on this, it is my first coop and first batch of chickens, so any suggestions are welcome!

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    We use a 2x4 with the wide side up for a roost. It's wide enough that our chickens lay on their feet/toes and keep them warm in very cold weather.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree with redoak about using a 2 x 4 as opposed to the 1 x 2. We use 2 x 4's with the 4" side up for them to be able to roost on.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, for a cold climate use either the wide face of a 2x4, or a wideish tree branch (5+" diameter, bark removed).

A 1x2 will sag horribly under the weight of chickens over even the shortest span, so it would not work very well even in a warm climate.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I put up a 1x6 deck board and a 2x4 with the wide sides up so they chickens can roost on them. I put braces under them at the middle so they wouldn't sag under the weight of the roosting chickens. Same reason as the others. I live in Indiana and it can get cold. I've thought it would be best if the chickens could sit over their feet and keep them warm.

6. ChickenKatie

ChickenKatie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    well thanks all, I did end up using a board, wide side up and a sturdy branch as well, the setup looks like it will work, but i'll have to see once the chicks can move in. Thanks for the help!! [​IMG]

7. jesd

jesd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    I'm just curious: how cold is too cold? I'm in Maryland, and it can get pretty cold here (in the 20s, maybe even a tiny bit colder in the middle of winter). Above all else, I want them to be comfortable so I'll probably use the 2"x4" anyway - great idea! Thanks!

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, it's kind of challenging to give a chicken frostbite above 32 F, so I'd say if a person's climate never gets below that then *definitely* no reason to worry [​IMG]

Places that freeze, honestly I see zero reason not to just automatically use the wider roost (it has no disadvantages at all); your actual risk of frostbite at subfreezing temperatures depends very heavily on all sorts of things including coop humidity.

Pat

9. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I vote for a 2 x 4 regardless of climate. After watching my chicks use an apple tree branch VS a 2 x 4. They looked much more comfortable sleeping on the 2 x 4.

I will however place a large fallen tree branch in their run to play on or roost if they choose but for my preference in the roost, I choose a 2 x 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by