Which rooster and is one too big?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rayelene, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Rayelene

Rayelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    I am new to this and have ended up with a choice between two roosters and can only keep one. One is a large Light Sussex and one a small Silver Campine.

The lady I purchased the chicks from suggests I keep the Light Sussex as he is a better specimen. However I have some questions around that. He is huge! And my smallest chook is a wee bantam and is tiny. I feel a bit dumb asking this but is he going to be too big to mate with her? The other Silver Campini Rooster is much smaller and also my pick of the two. He is so friendly and cuddly I'm finding it difficult to give him up but I don't want to hold onto him if its not the wisest move. I will not be breeding them for chickens much and it would really just be occasionally to restock my layers.

Here are the pics of both roosters and a photo of the bantam beside the Light Sussex so you can see the size difference.

Thanks in advance .. I really appreciate your help :)

[​IMG]
    Dexter (previously know as Bella) I must be the worst chicken sexer ever because he still looks like pullet to me lol

[​IMG]
    And this is Billie. No doubts here . . hes been crowing since 8 weeks old!

[​IMG]
    Bamtam (third from left) sorry not the best photo. She is a little puffed up too so looks bigger than she is. He really is a huge brute compared to her.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It depends on if you want the size of the birds to get smaller over generations or stay standard size. If you use the bantam the offspring will be small and eggs smaller. That's the big factor in my mind. If you like bantams then keep the bantam cockerel you already prefer.

I eat culls and like large eggs so would use the Sussex to continue the backyard flock.

3. Rayelene

Rayelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thanks I didn't think about size being altered. I'd much prefer large eggs .. that is their purpose after all lol. So that Silver Campine is a bantam too? He was thrown in as an extra by the breeder :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by