Which rooster, Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red?

lhowland

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 27, 2011
I have decided I want a rooster, please help me decide which one. Here is a quality I want, if possible. :) Friendly, I don't want to be chased by my rooster, I would like to be able to pet him and pick him up if need be. Some background info on my girls, I have 2 guinea hens, 7 Barred Rocks and 3 Rhode Island Reds, all of them are free range with a 10x10 chicken coop to sleep in at night. I read somewhere to keep how big a rooster will get in mind for the hens that a person has. Not sure on that though. So with that being said, which rooster, Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red? Thank you!

Hi,

I think you should get a barred rock. I've heard many stories of rhode island red roosters being agressive- they seem prone to that. Barred rocks are great!

I have heard the same thing about Rhode Island Reds, but wanted to see/hear other opinions. Thanks!

If its just between those breeds I would go with a barred rock.

But The Brahams are supposed to be very good roosters and my Silkie rooster is good. And since my roster is a solid color all the barred rock mix chicks are sexlinked.

I would go for the barred rock. We had got 5 RIR roosters as packing peanuts when we ordered from a hatchery. They all were held and loved, when they were starting to grow in there feathers they got MEAN, I could not even walk in the coop without them attacking my legs.But 1 was so sweet and would sit in my lap and never attacked me. If you want Black-sex-links a RIRroo and BRgirl makes black-sex link.

Definitely go with the Barred Rock. We have had Barred Rocks that are very sweet. Either that or I would recommend a Chochin. We currently have a Cochin Rooster and he is HUGE, but so lovey, calm, and nice to the "girls". Only gives me the stank eye every now and then but has never chased me. We also had a RIR Rooster and he was worse than a pit bull, even steel toed boots couldn't teach him a lesson.

I am not really interested in produding any chicks. I just want a nice/friendly rooster and thought I would just stay with the breeds I have but I will look into the Cochins and Brahams. Opps, one more request in my rooster, he has to be nice to the girls, not harrass them all the time. Does that still leave the Cochins, Brahams and Barred Rock rooster in, since I want them to be nice to the girls too? Thank you!

I just did a quick search and I want a Barred Rock rooster. Will a Barred Rock rooster, be friendly and nice to the girls? I don't want any meaness or harrassing going on, just a nice rooster. Is that too much to ask? Lol

I just did a quick search and I want a Barred Rock rooster. Will a Barred Rock rooster, be friendly and nice to the girls? I don't want any meaness or harrassing going on, just a nice rooster. Is that too much to ask? Lol

A mean or aggressive rooster is not breed specific. You can get a mean one from ANY breed. I will say though, I have heard that hatchery stock tends to be more aggressive than breeder quality stock.

Back
Top Bottom