Which rooster is best for me???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantamFan4Life, Oct 17, 2012.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I've had some bad experiences with flighty, agressive (to humans and chickens) Ameraucana roosters! I'm
    wondering what breed would fit in my standards of a good rooster, it needs to be:

1. Non aggressive

2.easily handled & make a good pet

3.Needs to take care of my hens (guide, protect from predators, and stop fighting between them)

4.Be good for breeding (so he actually has to mate them)

Please answer, I'm kind of taking a poll so I need lots of votes!!! Please put your opinion! Thanks!!!!

2. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    What kind of hens do you have

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Orpington, Australorp, Leghorn, Hamburg, and whatever breed I'll choose I'll get hens of the same breed for breeding.

4. themadchicken

themadchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2012
    Lehi Utah
    My best rooster was a LF BLRW. He was not mean at all and if you could grab him he would let you hold him and not even make a peep. He was still young when i sold him so i don't know about breaking up fights but our cats and small dog were afraid of him due to his size (He was twice as big as my largest hen). I also had a LF RIR rooster who meets all your needs except the aggressive part. He never attacked me our the kids but he hated my dog and our dog soon became afraid of going outside. I had a mutt LF EE that was great. he was protective, liked the ladies, and would let you hold him. But he loved to crow and was making 1 neighbor a little anoided. My current roosters are both bantams. One RIR who is great with the hens. Not agresive, sweet, lets you pick him up but is not at the top of the pecking order. His two favorite girls are my top hens but the middle class thinks he is not good enough and one day i had to save him from my BO. ( I really think they were trying to kill him). The other is a silkie and and he has 3 silkies and a bantam easter egger hen that he takes very good care of. But he doesn't even act like he notices the LF hens. He is VERY protective of his little flock and will attack anything that he feels is a threat including me! But of course he cant fly so its actually kind of funny because he ends up attacking my shoes,. But he can draw blood with his bite. when it comes to roosters i don't think there is a good vs bad. Just like the hens some will by great chickens and some will be more little attack birds with a chip on their shoulder.I hope you find the rooster that is right for your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by