Which Rooster(s) Would You Keep - POLL

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobbieschicks, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Foghorn, 32 week old White Leghorn, sweet heart who takes good care of the ladies, protective and sw

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. Francis, 19 week old Lavender Orpington, bites the ladies and rough handles them, just started crowi

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Daisy, 19 week old Partridge Silkie, he's beautiful, but doesn't crow (yet) and doesn't take care of

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. None of the above

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Well, I have a 5x10 coop with a 35'x40' divided run and rather small yard - so the number of chickens/rooster I can keep is limited. I have a friend who will take excess roosters to his property for bug eating purposes. But who should I send?

Foghorn 32 week old White Leghorn in the nest box teaching the young ladies where to lay, he has wooed all but one of the LOs to his harem, however he wing dances every human that comes into the run. I can catch him and pick him up.
    [​IMG]

Francis 19 week old Lavender Orpington, standing outside the nest box listening and growling at Foghorn, he does not like that Foghorn is enticing his women - and has been brutal with them when mating, he has pecked at me but not wing danced. I can catch him and pick him up.
    [​IMG]

Daisy, 19 week old Silkie, listens and mimicks Foghorn from the corner, he hasn't crowed yet, and he only recently started acting rooster like - when I trimmed his hair so he could see he started acting more bold. He wing danced me the next day after I trimmed him, but he hasn't pecked me. I can easily catch him and pick him up.
    [​IMG]

Also have 8 each Welsummer and Ameraucana eggs getting ready to hatch - so probably will have at least one rooster from that hatch. So option 4 would be get rid of all my current roosters and hold out for one from the new hatch to try for an Olive Egger.

2. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Daisy .... just for the sheer reason you shouldn't name a Rooster "Daisy" [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Haha. I told my daughter to pick a good name, she was really hoping for a girl. :)

4. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Foghorn - Roosters that perform rutt ettiquette annd do not act aggressively toward you are certainly the best.
    I do not have silkies, but from what I understand, Silkies have the girliest roosters. Timid, quiet, not vigorous. But all in all, the choice is really up to you.

(hint: to breed the best roosters ever, breed from hens that have spurs)

5. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    I would keep daisy and see if he get along ok with Foghorn.

If Francis is at all aggressive, he needs to go to freezer camp. Passing him off will result if other problems for your friend. If needed, send daisy to your friends bug camp.

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Foghorn. He's older, you know he's not agressive, and he's good with the ladies. I think at this age, either of the other roosters (and with LO already showing it) could make a bad turn. Have you

7. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    I am changing my answer ...keep Daisy and rename him Chuck Norris .... he will then be able to drive the other two into submission ... or give them a roundhouse kick to their beak :D

8. CelesteG

CelesteG Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    Alamance County, NC
    All I know is that my Buff Orpington roo is the rudest, most aggressive and horniest bird I've ever seen - not sure if the same will apply to a Violet. I'd be inclined to keep the nice guys.

9. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    It's looking more like Foghorn is staying and possibly Daisy, depending on how well he gets along with Foghorn.

However, Francis will be rehomed to my friend's 10 acre property. His fate will probably be ultimately as fox food since my friend doesn't confine his roosters - he just let's them free range until they are gone under the protection of two watch dogs. We gave him Foghorn's 3 White Leghorn rooster brothers we hatched out last July - and all but one has been claimed by a fox. He doesn't keep pullets, just roosters. So the roosters live out a longer life then freezer camp gets them, but still will need all their rooster skills to survive any length of time.

As much as I would love to keep all my roosters - I don't have the room and I'm not going to build separate pens - so it's one or two roosters at the most - and they can't be having squabbles or I'll choose just one or none!

Today I witnessed Francis pecking at the girls as they would walk by - he'd just grab at their necks. Then he was rather roughly mating one of the LO pullets and Snow White, lead pullet, rushed over to peck her while he was doing the deed - meanwhile Foghorn rushed over to peck at Francis and stopped about 6 inches short of going through with it. I think Foghorn may be a little afraid of the big brute.

So probably soon we'll be back to just Foghorn and possibly Daisy - although I do believe pretty Daisy's days are numbered as well since I have no use for a Silkie rooster.

10. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    If your looking to perpetuate your flock, and if all the hens are Lav Orp's I would definately cull the smaller two. Observe your Francis to see if being the only unchallenged rooster alters his behavior. If so keep him, if not cull him too. Find another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by