Which rooster should be culled?

Pics

SBlanton

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
Advice please- I currently have 2 roosters. A black copper Maran about 9 mo old and a buff Orpington about 5 mo old.

I currently have 6 maran hens and 2 buff hens- I am trying to see which you think would be better to keep for my flock?

The Maran roo is great with the hens- keeps them in line, makes them get in the coop at night, finds them food etc. - the downside is he tries to attack me daily. He is fine with my husband and daughter- just not me.
The Buff roo is sweet as pie with people- but right now aggressively mates with the hens. The hens Do Not want to mate with him- which I don’t know if that will fix itself if the other rooster is removed from the flock.

This is my first flock and am back and forth on who I should keep. Thanks! Sorry for the long read.

Attachments

• A43CC3BB-84A6-4AD4-9967-8342B487CDA1.jpeg
    A43CC3BB-84A6-4AD4-9967-8342B487CDA1.jpeg
    780.3 KB · Views: 46
What you have are two immature cockerels. Neither is a mature rooster, although the older one is close. The younger one is still awkward and needs to develop some finesse. It will happen with time. The hens are not letting him mate because he’s immature. If they’re pullets and not laying, they’re not letting him mate because they may not be ready yet. Personally, I wouldn’t keep a rooster that’s not smart enough to realize that I’m not a threat to my flock. But if you don’t have small children living or visiting you, at least that threat isn’t too great. You’ll have to decide how much nonsense you want to put up with out of him, and if you’re prepared for potential injury. He may leave your daughter and husband alone for now, but that could change quickly.

Back
Top Bottom