which rooster to keep

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by har, Oct 29, 2009.

1. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    I ordered some Delaware eggs off of E-Bay to start my own flock. They hatched about 10 weeks ago. There is 5 roosters and 4 pullets. 3 of the boys are huge,square and will be ready for the table soon. The 4th rooster is a little bid smaller and the 5th rooster is smaller yet. My question is which rooster should be kept for breeding purposes Thanks for your help.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I really think that the experts would have to see pictures to judge which best meet the breed standard. I would think there are many factors other than size that determine which is the best rooster.

I know nothing about Delawares, but I'm sure there's someone on here that does.

3. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    If it ever stops raining pictures are a good idea. I don't know how to get pictures on the site but maybe my wife does. I will try.

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Also, if you change your post name to include Delawares, I bet Speckledhen and Delawaregirl and Walkswithdog and Joanne and Rustyswoman and a lot of other Delaware people will see it and jump on and help! From what I gather, if you have a couple that are bigger, stockier, broader, then you can look at leg color and feather patterning. Then the comb. But I am NOT an expert.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by