Which rooster to keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by comp6512, Nov 16, 2009.

1. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Out of my 10 straight run Buff Orpingtons I ended up with five roosters. I can only keep one, so four have to go. Which one should I keep?

The largest, the prettiest, the ... ? They are all pretty nice, cannot say one is fightier than the other. [​IMG]

They still have a month or so to go, what types of signs or behaviours should I look for? I want to be as objective as possible. I love ALL of them!

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Are you keeping for breeding? if so, I would pick the one closest to breed standard. If just keeping a backyard flock, and all other things equal, I would pick the one best with the girls. Is there one who gives them treats, keeps watch for predators, breaks up fights, etc etc? My girls usually let me know which rooster they like best. Assuming you only have the 5 hens, if there is one who is more laidback and gentle than the others I would probably give him extra brownie points. Some roos really overbreed the girls, some are more polite and laidback and dont harass them as much.

If they are not old enough to do all of the above, it would kind of be a toss up. Once the hormones kick in, it is easier to see which is best to keep.

3. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Oops, I should have mentioned - I have 19 alltogether, 14 hens and 5 roos. I am keeping them for backyard breeding, if that's what it's called [​IMG]

They are 7 weeks old now, have not observed any selfless behaviour so far. They keep their food for themselves, not sharing [​IMG]

4. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    I got 10 straight run Silver Laced Wyandottes this past May. I needed to do the same thing as you, pick which of the roos to keep for my backyard flock. I spent alot, and I mean ALOT, of time watching how they acted toward each other and toward the girls. I had a 5 - 5 split. One showed himself early on to be a peace maker and he continued to be that way. Yours are too young to be interested in the girls but when their hormones kick in, you'll see a change in them. Some of mine would grab at a pullet's head as she past by or be constantly challenging another roo. The peace maker always broke up the fights and came to the defense of the pullet that was squawking. He made sure the girls all were in for the night before he went in. All this before he was 5 months old. Just keep watching them, you'll know which one to keep. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by