Which rooster to keep

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggsgalore, May 10, 2008.

1. eggsgalore

eggsgalore Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    I think I have about four roosters in a batch of nine
    5.5 week old chicks. One is top roo and very dominant.
    Would this mean he will be a good protector during free ranging later or can I better keep his gentle brother for this purpose as well? I am worried that the dominant chick will be harder to tame into a human-tolerant roo. His brother never causes trouble in the group.

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I would personally keep the less dominant roo. To be honest, if or when a predator comes, the roos will all make alot of noise, but I'm not sure extra agression in a rooster will win out against a predator anyway. And you don't want the aggressive rooster chasing you everytime you have to feed the chickens:>) But that is just my thinking

3. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    What breed of chickens are these? Are they a breed that tends to be aggressive towards people? Being dominant with another roo doesn't necessarily mean that he will be a mean rooster towards people. Just my 2 cents. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Having this same dilemma myself, I'm keeping the one that appeals to me most sweetness-wise, plus one of his brothers. If I were you, I would lean towards the less aggressive of the two; but tberggren makes a good point. What breed are they?

5. eggsgalore

May 4, 2008
    It's a mix of the common larger layers. I got them as eggs because I didn't have a rooster. Most of the eggs were green so at least part Amircauna (spelling?).

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, keep the less aggressive one.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, absolutely keep the less people-aggressive one. My late-great Hawkeye was the best of the best, a very calm, sweet, sociable, laid-back rooster, but would have fought to the death defending his girls, I have no doubt. A rooster will defend his girls; it's in his nature. You want one that will understand that you are in charge of him, though. Hawkeye knew that and he also knew I would never hurt his girls. My big Blue Orpington, Suede, is also non aggressive to people, but he is a great protector of his girls as well. Believe me, you do NOT want a rooster as large as Suede to be aggressive to people.

8. eggsgalore

May 4, 2008
    Thanks everybody! I am keeping the one I liked all along. How simple is that? Mmm, why didn't I realize that myself?
    In the meantime, what do I do with the meany? He seems too little to kill, he still peeps and I know him personally, I met him as an egg.... [​IMG]

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    You could make him a bachelor pad until he's big enough to be supper... jmo though.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Give him away. There are people that want roos, either to complete their flock or just because they like em. Tell everyone you think might be the least bit interested that you have an extra roo to give away. That's what I'm doing. So far, one of my SO's officers is interested in one and so is our local librarian. I'm being very selective.
    You should be honest about his temperment, but don't go overboard.
    There's always the chance that one of my extras might wind up in a stew pot someday, but it won't be MY stew pot. My SO is more than willing to butcher em for me, but I told him he'd be eating alot of chicken dinners alone and there's another time I'd leave him alone too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by