Which rooster to keep

Stacyc

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
Hello everyone, I am looking for opinions on which of the two roosters do I keep.
Out of the 12 chicks I purchased this spring two have become roosters. Golden laced Wyandottes. My question is do I keep the dominate roo, who has tried to bully me a few times and has poor eye sight, he can't seem to get the grape from my palm, he is always offa quarter of an inch, or do I keep the beta, who has shown no signs of aggression, yet.
At this point in time I don't plan on raising any chicks, but you never know what the future holds. I would like to know which is better for the hens, the scream like mad when beta, or Barney as he is called tries to mount them and of course Roger, the alpha comes to the rescue, sort of . I really can't keep two, I have a dozen hens but I do have neighbors and the boys compete all day long on who has the best voice. Any input would be appreciated.
They are both really beautiful and have found a place to relocate one of them .
Thank you

Don't think you want to keep a human aggressive roo period, and if you plan on breeding, temperament is hereditary and nasty roos tend to produce roos that are nasty ... also would not keep one with what appears to be a physical problem like abnormal eyesight in case it is hereditary. So would vote for the Beta roo if you want to keep one of them right now.

Thanks for the input, was thinking along the same line in regards to the eyesight issue and the aggression.

I would keep the non-aggressive one. Aggressive roosters are no fun, and I wouldn't want him to pass on any genetic eyesight problem.

Update: took the alpha roo over to his new home, I truly felt awful about it all but had to be done. He made these pathetic bwaks all the way. One interesting thing I noticed was the alpha always looked low and squat, where as the beta roo seemed really long and thin, literally overnight he has begun to carry his wings lower now as to give him a wider looking body. I thought the change in body language was pretty cool.
Thanks for the imput.

Back
Top Bottom