Which rooster will help produce green or olive layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QChickieMama, Nov 6, 2016.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much for your opinions! One is an olive egger; one is a Maran-mix something, and I don't know which is which or what kind of layers they'll help make. So far, the hens in the pen lay predominantly green eggs, some dark brown, a few olive.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    the second one is olive egger- his comb is pea which is closely linked to the gene for blue/green eggshells.

first rooster is single combed and more than likely does not have the blue/green eggshell gene.... unless he is marans mixed with legbar which don;t have the pea-blue eggshell linkage.

if you dont know their history and you want more green eggs, use the second rooster.

wou;d be better to use pure marans, welsumer, penedesenca to cross with for olive eggs.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The Maran is the olive egg producer......

Cheers!

4. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Um, I beg to differ, the Marans is a dark brown egg producer. A Marans bred with a blue egg layer will have offspring that can lay olive green eggs.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  5. chickens really

Yeah.......I know.........THANKS.......

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    With all mixed birds......your chances of green/olive vs brown eggs is a real crap shoot.

1 person likes this.
  7. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    So, is the 2nd rooster (the white one) a Marans mix-looking rooster?

8. chickens really

The Maran would be the one I would try....

Cheers!

9. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

The single combed one is the Marn mix. The more silver looking one is the STUNNING easter egger mutt [​IMG] I love him.
    Personally, I won't breed a rooster who isn't gentle and protective of the hens. If he is an "over-zealous breeder" (i.e., chases the hens and violently pulls out feathers), I would cull him. A rooster gets alot of his temperament from his father. Obviously, it's not the only thing that determines how he'll behave, but it doe splay a roll.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by