Which Rooster would make the prettiest Pullets from SLW, BR, GLW & B?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by finflwr, Aug 11, 2011.

1. finflwr

finflwr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Salisbury
    Hey,

I was hoping there may be someone with enough genetics knowledge to attempt some speculations. [​IMG]

We've recently got our new sweet little mixed flock of four pullets. we've got a Plymouth Barred, a Barnevelder, Silver Laced Wyandotte and one Gold Laced Wyandotte.

Now they cost a pretty sum and I though I know it's early days, I started to thinking how a home bred 2nd generation to keep the flock going might look depending on the 'hiring' of different breed Roosters. After attempting to research it myself I'd humbly like to say I give up and ask for help [​IMG] i've got no idea!!

So would anyone like to attempt some guessing at for instance; Barnevelder Rooster? Silver Laced Wyandotte? I know there are sex linked genes that I can't get my head around.. The results I'd be after would be Double Lacing, Pencilling, Lacing etc.. I like Patterns!!
    What sort of female chicks (the ones I'd keep) would result?

I'd be really interested to see what you can suggest please [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. finflwr

Aug 11, 2011
    Salisbury
    No guesses? [​IMG]

I'm was thinking SLW. To retain one pure breed at least.

But then I started to read about Easter Eggers.. So I thought, perhaps an Auracana Rooster would produce some interesting offspring. Any sex-links? With the Barred Rock?

These are my Ladies:
    [​IMG]

We don't get Easter Eggers here in England, so I thought, perhaps that would be something people here may be interested in purchasing, increasing the viability of the idea..

But mostly I just want to increase our flock of layers in time. And I love Patterned Hens. It's also very interesting to see what you get when you hybridise, though usually I satisfy myself with crossing my Sweetpeas and Calendulas [​IMG]

3. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    RIR mixed with a barred rock hen is makes black sex links.

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Yeah you could use a big red roo (RIR) or a big buff roo (BO) to get sex-links from the BR and the SLW the other two would throw some lacing in some of the offspring but not sexable by color at hatch though. [​IMG]

Jeff

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    A GLW would make some pretty chicks.. .so would a BLRW.

Or just get a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo, you'll get some gorgeous EEs.

6. finflwr

Aug 11, 2011
    Salisbury
    Thanks People [​IMG]

These are great suggestions!

Are the only sex-links I can make Black ones? [​IMG] Jeff?

What sort of colours EEs would you expect to get with the Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo, Mahonri? I'm not sure if they would be available here in England.. Would a Lavender Auracana do? I've not seen Ameraucanas for sale here at all so far..

I wouldn't use the Cream Legbars as I'd want a tidy comb and I hear they're feisty too. I'm hoping to get quite docile layers from my mixing..

Thanks again for your help [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:No the red or buff male over the SLW would produce red or buff colored females will somewhat resemble their male parent in color the male offspring will be white with red or gold leakage esp. in the pyle zone (wing bows, over the mid back area). So the chicks will be gold (reddish) at hatch, the males yellow (white) at hatch. Illustration #2 on takersons post(site. below) would be approx. what you could expect as hatchling colors.

check out this site http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

The feathersite does not mention anything on the buff crosses but they are gold just the same as RIR so they combos will yield the same results just a little lighter in color usually. [​IMG]

8. finflwr

Aug 11, 2011
    Salisbury
    Thanks catdaddyfro,

Those links were great! [​IMG]

9. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    unless you keep each hen seperate, you will not know who lays what egg, and then when hatching time comes.. you won't know the sex link chicks from the nons...

I would give up on the sexlink idea....

If it were me, and I had a mixed run of hens, i would go with something mixed on them, cuz obviously you don't care what breed you raise.. Look at it this way, you have 4 hens, so no matter what, 75% of your chicks will be cross

why not just go for 100% and take advantage of hybrid vigor..

or you could do something way off from the 4 like a Cornish for meat, a EE for egg color, or a leghorn for egg laying ability...

Personally, nothing you have would inspire me to get a roo of any of those breeds...

10. finflwr

Aug 11, 2011
    Salisbury
    I know what you mean about the sex-link idea. However, I'm confident there will be enough subtle differences in the eggs to tell them apart as they're all different varieties of chicken. I have an excellent eye for detail [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm not sure the sex-link chicks will be the type of colouring I'm after, it seems they are mostly even colours of red/buff.. The advantage would be in sales I suppose, and that isn't my main motivation. I was hoping more of the patterns would come through in the chicks.. [​IMG]

So, now I'm favouring the EE making idea or the SLW rooster as Frieda is a lovely example and that breed is very popular here. Unless I could get a silver pencilled Rooster.... Not seen any of those around here either..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by