WHICH ROOSTER

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mechanic1987, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Mechanic1987

Mechanic1987 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Anniston, Ala.
  2. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Cool pics Mechanic! Fine looking chicks as well as the young ladies tending them... a fine family! I have a RIR rooster (2 yrs old) and he is very calm and has never attempted to go after anyone, he is very attentive to his "girls" and watchful over them. I don't know how the Brown Leghorns are but the RIR I have is great!

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I would probably go with a RIR. Leghorns are from the Meditrainean (sp) class and tend to be a bit more flighty and spastic. Although I have heard horror stories about RIR roosters. JMO

4. Mechanic1987

Mar 19, 2007
    Anniston, Ala.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to Marion for the comments and the help;

Thanks Dustin Biery; since both of you feel that the RIR is the best that is the way we'll go.

Thanks

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I would try the RIR too. We have a gal on the EzBoard, Amy in Ohio, that has a very sweet RIR rooster. One person's bad experience may not be an indicator of all RIR roosters. They really are beautiful birds. Just keep a close eye one him.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sweet pics...
    Leghorns=Lunatics!
    LOL
    I have a Leghorn hen who's nosy, bossy, and has an opinion about everything and isn't afraid to let you know it.[​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I vote RIR. Leghorns are crazy suckers. I will only keep them to sell as soup birds. The one I had kept for a beautiful build became the meanest little sucker in the WORLD!!!

8. Mechanic1987

Mar 19, 2007
    Anniston, Ala.
  9. Mechanic1987

Mar 19, 2007
    Anniston, Ala.
    Well, the discision of which rooster was answered on its own. We have 5 RIR, 4 Browns Leghorns, and 3 White rock hens. But one of the Brown Leghorns turned out to be a Roo. We shall see what kind of mannerism he has.

He'll be about 4 weeks on tues. Here are some Pics.
    Just wanted to let Ya'll know.

Ray
    Some Pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mechanic1987

10. Mechanic1987

Mar 19, 2007
    Anniston, Ala.
    Let you know that he started crowing today ( little week but a crow) at 5 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by