Which sand to use indoor winter dust bath?

farmgrl7

Chirping
May 3, 2020
Wisconsin
I’m planning on making a dust bath in a kiddie pool. I’d like to add some sand to it but I’m not sure which of these I should use or does it matter?

Attachments

• A3AFA205-E790-4570-8177-C72895E2A9C3.jpeg
    A3AFA205-E790-4570-8177-C72895E2A9C3.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 11
  • A633A7AA-3848-4736-B5DD-5BD03EBACDBD.jpeg
    A633A7AA-3848-4736-B5DD-5BD03EBACDBD.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
I’m curious too. I’ve been wanting to make an indoor dust bath station.

@aart I’m very inexperienced, so please forgive me if my thinking is off. Aren’t dust baths supposed to be dusty? I was under the impression that it was the whole point on why they take dust baths. Kinda like chinchillas. Haha.
Or is less dusty sand just required in an indoor setting?

I’m curious too. I’ve been wanting to make an indoor dust bath station.

@aart I’m very inexperienced, so please forgive me if my thinking is off. Aren’t dust baths supposed to be dusty? I was under the impression that it was the whole point on why they take dust baths. Kinda like chinchillas. Haha.
Or is less dusty sand just required in an indoor setting?
To an extent, yes.
Not sure about chinchillas.
The term 'dust bath' is not to be taken too literally.
Mainly they need to get the particles of dirt/sand all down thru their feathers to their skin,
if the particles are too fine and it's not as effective and makes for a breathing hazard.

I had an indoor dust bathing bin the first 2 winters, they never used it.
Luckily the area in the run under the coop stays dry enough not to freeze and they dust bath there all winter. In summer they dust bath all over the run, sometimes the soil is rather damp.

To an extent, yes.
Not sure about chinchillas.
The term 'dust bath' is not to be taken too literally.
Mainly they need to get the particles of dirt/sand all down thru their feathers to their skin,
if the particles are too fine and it's not as effective and makes for a breathing hazard.

I had an indoor dust bathing bin the first 2 winters, they never used it.
Luckily the area in the run under the coop stays dry enough not to freeze and they dust bath there all winter. In summer they dust bath all over the run, sometimes the soil is rather damp.
Oh ok! That’s makes sense🙂 Thank you for explaining that.

I’ve had chinchillas before and they needed volcanic ash to roll around in. While chickens have feathers and not fur I figured the dusty consistency was still important.

Back
Top Bottom