which school books are better???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Orpingtons4U, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    abeka books or alpha omega books since i am homeschooled which one is better

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not familiar with either, so I looked them up. All I'd say is that if you do wish to become a vet-tech, you may be a bit confused when you start taking biology in college if you start out learning the subject from their perspectives. Good luck in your endeavors.

:)

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I used abeka and liked them. The private schools my kids attended used both, but mostly alpha.

As has long been the case, home schooled students outperform, by far, their public school peers, including home school students that utilize God centered materials.

4. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not challenging home-schooling, though the "outperforming" which is often mentioned doesn't seem to be based on evidence -- basically, there's no significant difference in college performance when students are randomly sampled.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPorta...&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ682484

I'm speaking specifically about biology, which will be presented very differently in college -- in other words, evolution won't be edited out, because without it, biology doesn't make sense. And if someone is seeking a career based on biology, it is better to learn the whole story, rather than rearranging and editing it to agree with something else. When the OP gets to college, science will be taught by scientists, and won't be passing through the filter of religion. It will just make things more difficult to keep up with peers in the classroom later if it is learned now using the books mentioned. If a person has issues with what biology says, then perhaps a career in biology isn't the best fit.

:)

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Hopefully the OP will receive lots more input on their question regarding the choice between the 2 programs. [​IMG]

6. Orpingtons4U

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    thsnks for y'alls input

7. I use abeka books :) they are great!

8. Orpingtons4U

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Okay

9. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I use the Apologia curricula, but I have heard great things about the Abeka books.

10. Orpingtons4U

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Okay thanks eenie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by