1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

which sex-link?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by amazondoc, Apr 12, 2008.

1. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I want to include a couple serious egg-layers in my mixed-flock-to-be.

I'd like to hear comparisons between the Red Star, Black Star, and Golden Comet -- or any other mixed-breed layers you'd like to suggest. Thanks!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Can't do comparisons, but I can tell you about my red star. She lays a very nice sized (large) brown egg every day. She is also the source of most of the double yolk eggs I get (which we think are so cool). A very laid back, sweet natured, easy going little lady. I have a black sex link too, but she is just a week old. [​IMG]

Just wanted to add, for an absolute egg laying machine, the Leghorns are AWESOME!!! Not sure if they are something you aren't interested in?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  3. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks for the info!

I haven't been much interested in the Leghorns, in part because of what I hear about their temperaments. With so many friendly breeds to choose from, I don't see much reason to deal with flighty ones.

Oh, and white eggs are boring! [​IMG]

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have to agree about the white eggs!!! LOL However, when mixed with my light brown, dark brown, and green, they look really pretty. [​IMG] I know they aren't supposed to be really nice, but that just blows my mind! I have two. They are both sweethearts. One of them begs to be held and falls asleep with me carrying her around. I have no clue why mine are such sweeties but I guess I lucked out. [​IMG]

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

My girl Ella is my sweetie pie, all my Golden Comets were awesome.

Ella is the only one left, the other 4 died from laying related problems [​IMG] which I guess if pretty common for the really good layers.

Mine were fantastic layers, great personalities- not agressive or loud. All around favorites. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  7. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Ella -- how old were your Golden Comets when they died?

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I lost the first at 2 1/2 years and the last one died at 4.

But my remaining hen has never had any health problems and she still lays really well at five years old.

9. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks for the info!

10. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I have BSL's and GSL's from Ideal.They are really a RSL but Ideal has three different RSL crosses so they use Gold,Red, and Brown to identify.The GSL's that I have are RIR over RIW and they are as good a layer as my BSL's.You can't go wrong with any of the sex link crosses if you want lot's of big eggs.In fact many first generation crosses from other good egg laying breeds are excellent layers and often times better than the original.They just can't be sexed at birth by color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by