Which Should I Get???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JordanFamily, Feb 2, 2011.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Opinions Please.... Which should I get? A Dickey cabinet with everything and elec thermostat or a Ova-Easy 380 Advance Cabinet Incubator by Brinsea?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Have you ruled out the Sportsman 1502? They all look the same on the inside. [​IMG]

3. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:OK add that one to... I just want to get the best I can that will do well for me... I will be using it for stagard hatches and it will be in my barn so want the best for that... I was also going to try to hatch out goose and chicken eggs in it at the same time... So that to is on my mind.... So any opinions on what is best for the money??? Also I am very busy and so need one that does well by itself... Thanks SOOO MUCH!

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    which ever you buy, have it shipped to my address. [​IMG]

5. Martin Grove Farm

Martin Grove Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 2 sportsmans. Wouldn't want anything different. Parts, if you ever need them, are very easy to get and it is easy to work on.

Edit to add

I have the clear door on both. That is a MUST HAVE!

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Why was I thinking the same thing? [​IMG]

7. Sir Birdaholic

I [​IMG] my Sportsman 1502. If you're putting it in the barn this time of year, I'd wrap all but the door with a blanket, or insullation, so it will keep the heat in. It may keep it's heat, but it'll probably run the heating element non-stop. I have mine in the.....GULP....kitchen. [​IMG]

8. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:Well I could keep it in my laundry room but was worried about the humidity change in there do to washing and drying clothes... I have 5 children so the washer and dryer run constantly... Also my husband has a sinsitive nose and so will wine if he smells anything... He gripes about my little brinsea 20 so I'm sure will throw a fit over a larger smell. lol.... So you guys think the sportman is better than the Dickey? I had heard somewhere that the sportman can have issues with mold? Is that correct??? I liked the dickey because it was wood like the old ones....

9. Sir Birdaholic

I've only dealt with the Sportsman. Humidity in the laundry room shouldn't be a problem, as well as hubby. Tell him that he can stay at a motel until the hatching is done. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] No mold problems here & I run mine 24/7 about 300 days a year. [​IMG]

10. JordanFamily

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:He might actually go for that... I'll tell him to take a vacation for a couple of days. To relax away from the kids.... lol... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by