1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which sickness does this look most like?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by khill1982, Dec 27, 2014.

1. khill1982

khill1982 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    HELP!! I have 2 hens, the striped one and a broiler which I plan to eat soon. They are about 3 months old and have not been around other chickens for that length of time. About a week ago I noticed one was squinting one eye and had what looked to be peck marks around it. Now, her eye is runny and almost closed, which I was unable to get a pic of. The other eye is fine. I did get a pic of her comb, which is growing dark bumps. She is eating and drinking fine and running around, but may be acting slightly puny at times. Can anyone offer up what they think it might be? Should I go ahead and kill her and disinfect my coop?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    Could be anything from Fowl Pox to Coryza. If you look up these on this site you will find some good leads in the right direction. Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  3. khill1982

khill1982 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I read about all the most common diseases and hoped it would be nothing she would stay a carrier of. Wish disease was easier to determine :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by