which side up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I've collected eggs from some of the Fav's and orp eggs Doing practice run on new incubator before spending money on the chicks I want buy and not knowing what I'm doing. Question I stored them with the little end up Is this bad? I'm only doing 6.

2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I don't think it will make much of a difference during storage, but you'll want to make sure they are pointy-end down when you incubate.

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:Wait.... They need to be turned during incubation, so do you mean thats where they should START?

Ive never incubated, so I really dont know.

4. Paganbird

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    When you "turn" the eggs during incubation... it's more like a tilt.
    The larger end always stays up & you just tip the egg side to side.

ETA: That's if you're using a turner or cartons to hatch. If you just have the eggs laying in the 'bator, you leave them on their sides. Mark each side: one with an X, one with an 0. The roll the eggs from one side to the other to "turn" them.
    I prefer to set eggs in a carton.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Thank you, I don't have a turner. I just lay them on their side and hope for the best. Isnt that how they lay under the hen, on their side? I will mark with X's and O's for hugs and kisses?

6. Paganbird

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    LOL! I guess it is hugs & kisses!
    I usually mark mine with the date set on one side & a letter on the other, but since you're just starting out... go with the hugs & kisses!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by