which side up!!!???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secretquail, Jul 8, 2010.

1. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Holy Cow!!! I just got my 1st batch of Appleyard eggs, and after hatching quail eggs, my eyes just about popped out of my head![​IMG] My question... the eggs are so big, there is not a very defined top and bottom. I did my best, but if one of them is top up instead of down, will it hurt? or will the embrio just work it out? I will be using a turner, otherwise I guess it wouldn't matter.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Most people would recommend hand turning duck eggs so they can be laid on there sides in the incubator- I have definitely found I get much better results this way.

3. Kekko

Kekko Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Western IDAHO
    We have Silver Appleyard Ducks and although the eggs are very round on both ends, if you look close you will be able to tell which end is which. One end is slightly larger than the other one. Lay it flat on the table and you can see the slop at one end is more pronounced. If one is upside down just turn it over. Although I have hatched Duck eggs both laying flat and with a turner the hatch rate is better without the turner. This fall I’m making racks to fit on a Little Giant egg turner to rotate the eggs lying down. I’ll have to see how that works!

Yes the eggs are VERY LARGE!

4. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Kekko, do you eat the eggs? I'm a bit shy now because of their size. How noisy are your ducks? How early can you tell the sex? ...sorry for the ?'s, but these are my 1st ducks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by