which Silkie Roo should I keep?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ryanhodapp, Nov 18, 2011.

1. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have 4 silkies that were born in July. There are 3 that appear to be roo's. (2 splash, 1 black). Then there is one splash hen.
    I also have about 8 other hens of different breeds.

Roosters are not legal but I really want to try and have baby silkies next summer. So how do I pick which roo to keep? only one is crowing so far. The black and one of the splash like to do the chest bump thing. Do I keep the one that the female hangs with the most (although all 4 stick together for the most part)?
    Is there any kind of "test" for the best personality?

any advice is appreciated.
    Marlene

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:what u breeding for?
    if u breed her to black u well only get blues and if u breed her to splash u well only get splash

3. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    you what keep they rooster with smallest comb
    most feet feathers
    darkest comb
    5 toes

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    pic well help

5. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I like the splash.
    This is just my little backyard project. I know that the farmer I got them from shows in the local county fairs, but nothing fancy. I just like the breed.
    I had a black hen from April hatch, but a hawk got her 2 weeks ago. I was so unhappy.

also, I am such a novice, I am not sure if my black is black or is blue.

6. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:well then keep pair splash
    keep best personality

7. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I say, pick the one you like the best and/or think looks the best. And, if you are able to compare crows, pick the quietest one. I like the splash, since I think the variety you get will be greater than with the black one. The hen will bond with whichever one you keep, especially since they were raised together.

<------------------------ Black silkie roo x mille fluer d'uccle hen

I had 2 silkie roosters, one was meaner than snot (I have scars on my legs to prove it), the other was very mellow but kind of stupid. He was also a better quality, blue silkie, while the mean one was a hatchery quality black silkie. Anywhoo, I got chicks from both, and the blue silkie's chicks are nervous and spook easily (like he did) and the black silkie chicks were both super sweet and mellow. Their mamma being a d'uccle had a lot to do with it, but daddy's mean genes didn't seem to cause any negative affect. The chicks were actually sweeter and more easily handled than their mother.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    ok, The 2 splash roo's are not equally developed, so I will wait a few more weeks to see which has smallest comb, etc.
    I will also observe their personalities some more. They all seem pleasant and are easy to pick up (not that they like it).

I am afraid to ask, what do people do with too many silkie roo's? are they big enough to eat?

9. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I gave mine to a petting zoo. There is no way I could have eaten them, even the mean roo. But, I hear they are a delicacy in parts of Asia because of the black skin. [​IMG] You can always try Craigs list, but I never had luck there.

10. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    thanks flower chicks!
    I dont know of a petting zoo. The farmer said he would take them back.

I wish I could keep them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by