Which Silkie rooster should I keep?

kycowgirlchick

Songster
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
Eubank ky, near Somerset
Here is my partridge Silkie roosters. I need to thin them down to 1. I have 2 hens that stay in the house due to so many roos. I dont know enough so please help me decide which one to keep.
17983_roo_5.jpg

17983_roo_4.jpg

17983_roo_3.jpg

17983_roo_2.jpg

17983_roo_1.jpg

The gang
17983_red_flock.jpg

#1 or #4 is the one I am thinking of keeping. And I may even keep 2 just in case of a death.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would keep #4 or #5 on account of comb color. That's often one of the biggest issues with Silkies is incorrect comb color, and the first three have BRIGHT red combs, which is bad. I like the buff lady in the background of #5

I would say #5 for sure--my partridge silkie has a very dark black comb--the red was a little scary..no offense still beautiful though-I never saw one with a red comb-yes Im a newbie

Thanks for all the info. I am new at this. I dont show and dont plan on it. But if I am raising and selling I want to keep the best. I just have to learn what the best is.
Is there a place/site to learn what exactly to look for in each breed?

#1 or #2. The wings on the rest of them are bad. I'd take a large comb over bad wings any day, it's much easier to work out.

#1 and #2 also have better type.

Best of Luck,

~ Nikki

I like that #4 and # 5 boy...I am not an experienced show person so I am just going on looks and personal preference...I like the body and comb best on them

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom