Which "spangled" breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GothChick, Mar 13, 2018.

1. GothChick

GothChick Songster

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am limited on the number of chickens I can have. I would like to have one "spangled" or tri-colored chicken, but can't decide which to pick.

Desired traits:
    Friendly
    Quiet
    Can handled confinement
    Good egg layer
    Cold hardy

Breeds I'm considering:
    Jubilee Orpington
    Speckled Sussex
    Russian Orloff

2. Kailey the Animal Lover

Kailey the Animal Lover Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    Orpingtons are notoriously friendly, and exceptional chickens for a family. They are even tempered and calm. It has been said that their docile nature makes them easily picked on by others in a flock. Eggs: The Buff Orpington is a good layer of medium sized brown eggs.

Cyprus likes this.
  3. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018
    The speckeled sussex: Their calm and docile personality means that they're adaptable to most kinds of living arrangements. They love to forage so make great free-rangers, but they're calm enough to be able to cope with a more confined space too - ideal if you don't have a lot of room.

4. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018
    Russian Orloffs are calm, friendly, and do well in a mixed backyard flock. Eggs: This breed lays a reasonable amount of brown eggs, but their ability to lay through the winter makes up for their lack of excellence through the rest of the year.

Cyprus and Percheron chick like this.
  5. GothChick

GothChick Songster

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Yea, that's kind of what I found about the breeds also. Hence why I am having a problem picking one. All the breeds sound great but I only have space left for 1 of them. :p

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    X2 on RO.

7. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Maybe get an Easter Egger, they come in a variety of colors and most are multicolored...this is my Easter Egger hen Wendy C82C6BBB-E26D-4F6C-A6A1-493CAD33C2EF.jpeg

8. GothChick

GothChick Songster

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    We already have some EEs. :) I'm allowed 6 hens and I am looking for a "spangled" colored breed to add to the flock. The other spots are already decided.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  9. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Ahh...Maybe get a Spangled Hamburg or an Appenzeller Spitzhauben.

Cyprus likes this.
  10. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    I really vote for the Speckled Sussex!! My girl is one of the most personality-heavy chickens I have, she comes running, no, sprinting whenever she sees one of us!:) Lays eggs very reliably and extremely cold hardy..I live in Wyoming and if you know anything about Wyoming weather, you'll know what I mean.;)

Cyprus likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: