Which store bought eggs can be fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThaJuicyJuice, May 6, 2011.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I have heard of this for some time, that people get organic free range chicken eggs and they are fertile. There is a whole foods close to me, which has all that organic stuff. I attempted once and none were fertile, so I had to eat each egg. Was like 5-6 bucks for the whole dozen- 50 cents and egg! Which brand should I try?

2. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    trader joes sells actual "fertile eggs" And these are the only ones that will be fertile most likely. As most egg factories have only hens to eliminate that 'fertile' aspect..Or you can just find a random farmer off craigslist that has free range hens and roos, they sell thier eating eggs at about 2-6 bucks a dozen and most are fertile [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am one of the members of the unofficial Trader Joe's hatching club. On New Year's Day I hatched out 3 pullet chicks from a dozen set TJ eggs, and a week later, the second dozen produced a single chick, a cockerel. All White Leghorns.

So, there is definitely some drop off in fertility for hatching, but it can be done!

When I get home from work, I'll add a photo of the specific egg carton, and maybe some pictures of my four TJs chickens.

4. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i heard that some whole foods sell fertile eggs but i looked at mine and the eggs were "free range" but not labeled fertile. i am going to try trader joes. i would love to see pics of the cartons and chicks [​IMG]

5. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Too bad... There are no trader joes in Miami.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

As promised, here is a photo of the egg carton from which I took eggs to incubate.
    [​IMG]

Here's my little TJs roo, hatching upside down. SO like a man - didn't ask for directions first!
    [​IMG]

Here they are in the brooder, with their buddy chick that STILL hangs out with them in the yard.
    [​IMG]

Here they are perched in the trees, up quite high!
    [​IMG]

And here is my little TJ roo, who has started to crow just this week.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by