Which temp is right

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brie6895, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Brie6895

Brie6895 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Magnolia Springs, AL
    Yesterday I bought a indoor humidity and temp digital reader. My incubator thermostat has shown it staying at 99.8 and humidity at 40.

My hygrometer shows the same humidity but shows my temps being only 95..

Tonight I am going to start lockdown. Which thermometer should I believe? And should I turn the temperature up or just let it be?

Thanks!

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Newbie here so take what I think with a large grain of salt...
    I read that as hatching chicks are old enough to get ready to hatch they of course start generating their own heat and that the bator temp should usually be turned down to accommodate.
    That came from the directions on my Hova Bator still air.
    Between the information in the 101 learning center, your directions on whatever model bator you have and the other Posters input you should be good to go.
    *If you have a still air, are your two readings coming from the same spot? Different readings will come from different spots of the incubator, especially in a still air. I don't know about bators with fans...
    Best wishes for a healthy, happy hatch!

3. Brie6895

Brie6895 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Magnolia Springs, AL

That is true I never really thought about the different spots.. I can't open it now to move it around since I'm in lockdown but I'm wondering which temp I should use for accuracy? I'm about to turn up humidity but now the humidity in the thermometer attached is about 10 degrees higher than the one I bought...

Ahh what to do!

It's now an hour into day 21 and stil no movement or anything. My temperature on my bator says 100.5 but on the hygrometer it says 95... Should I turn it up?

4. sumatrass

sumatrass Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a still air incubator and on the instructions it says Do not put the thermometer on wire floor as reading will not be accurate. Also watching videos and reading on incubating i noticed that a lot of people dont agree on the same temperature and it varies between 98.5 to 102F When i hatched my chicks i made sure it stayed in that area and had no problems hatching chicks to early or to late.

1 person likes this.
  5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I wouldn't turn it up as 'fetuses' s/b old enough to 'start' better holding their own with temp a tad lower. Try your best to find another means to accurately compare the two...
    I ran straight to the pet store and bought one of those digital temp gauges, that has the cord with the sensor at the end, for aquariums... reminds me of a miniature version of those wire cameras you always see the swat teams use in the action movies...anyhoo, I place that in one of the vent holes and suspend it a hair above my eggs...without having to open the bator.
    I usually have them tilted in their egg carton on a home made piece of cardboard box folded into a triangle, wrapped with rubbery kitchen cupboard liner so as to safely angle them at approximately 45*.
    When they are in the tilt mode I suspend the sensor just above the middle row of my eggs and can adjust it as needed to read who's doing what in their respective row.
    As long as your humidity is in the proper range, they should hopefully be ok...(?) I'm with you, my first hatch and learning as I go.
    Also read that if temps aren't in 'optimum' range (before-during-after lock down) chicks have the potential (more so) to hatch early, on time, as well as late!
    Enough to make ME want to pull out my hair. Which I would gladly give for some healthy happy chicks....

Wishing, hoping, praying for your little clutch...

Take heart as we can only do what we can do, unfortunately, the rest 'ain't' up to us. THAT would be too easy wouldn't it :/

~For other newbies out there, like myself, remember the simple truth, heat always RISES, no exception with the still/thermal air bators...unless your up in the thinnest of air maybe(?)~IDK.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  6. sumatrass

sumatrass Chillin' With My Peeps

They may take up to 25 days as long as they dont smell keep them in there past the 21. I was worried more about the humidity when i hatched mine since the egg shell has to be soft enough for them to break through. the first one took 2 days of moving and chipping before he hatched and his 2 other brothers came 6 hours later without making such a fuss :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by