1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which temp to trust??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommakatx2, Mar 1, 2017.

1. mommakatx2

mommakatx2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    I set a mixed batch yesterday in my Hovabator 1583 with auto turner. I have two glass thermometers and a digital thermometer/hygrometer combo. I'm maybe driving myself a bit more crazy than I need to, but the digital thermometer is a consistent 99F and 35-36% humidity. However one glass thermometer reads a minimally fluctuating 99F-100F and the other one reads 100F-102F!! The one that reads higher is the one that actually came with the incubator.

Which one do I trust?? Do I add yet another to check?? Am I driving myself unnecessarily crazy with it? I'm worried they're too warm.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    How are you checking the thermometers---is one laying on the eggs and one setting on the wire floor??? Location makes a difference----that's why a still air is suppose to be 101+ on top of the eggs but if the same thermometer was laying on the floor it would not read as high----heater is above so the higher the thermometer is the higher it will read. Who know which is right. I would go with the digital and see if the eggs hatch on time---if they hatch a little early---its to hot, a little late its to cold-----on time---its right.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. mommakatx2

Feb 19, 2017
    Thanks. I can't get them to stay on top of the eggs with the turner on, so the glass thermometers are basically next to each other on the empty cups of the turner. The digital one is to heavy for the turner so it's of to the side on the mesh floor.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. It's been 8-9 years since I've hatched. I feel like I'm starting all over again.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Doesn't your incubator have a fan inside? If so----I think I would go by the two that reads the closest. So today is day 1 if they all hatch on late March 20 and early march 21----you are good. If a little early----lower it a little next hatch----a little late----raise it a little next hatch.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm running my first batch in my 1583 and I've noticed the glass thermometer that came with mine stays a degree or two higher than my 2 springfield precisions. I've used my sprinfields for a couple years and I trust them pretty well. They stay within tenths of each other if not exact when left side by side. So as long as they are under 101, I don't worry about it. It's staying pretty rock steady at 99.5-100.5
    Like PD said, their hatch day will give you a pretty good idea of which is more accurate. As long as none of them are reading above 102 or under 99, I wouldn't stress yourself by adding yet another thermometer.

1 person likes this.
  6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Oh and [​IMG]

7. mommakatx2

Feb 19, 2017
    Thank you!

I'll tone down the obsessing a bit lol. Hopefully they'll hatch on time. This hatch is going to my daughter's kindergarten class next Monday, so i want to be sure it's working correctly. I had it set up 3 days before the eggs arrived and it stayed stable. Here's hoping for babies!!

8. mommakatx2

Feb 19, 2017

Yes, it does. Thank you, I think I agree with the two closest...that seems more reasonable than adding 35 more thermometers lol!!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by