Which thermometer do I trust?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dirty_South_Chickens, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    OK I got 3 thermometers in my LG and they all read different...2 digital and 1 mercury. 1 dig is reading 101.3, the other dig is reading 97.8 and the mercury that came with the incubator is reading 99.5. I have been going with the middle reading but how can I know for sure? Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

My advise is to go buy a oral thermometer an use that... Or at least use it to test the others.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    calibrate the mercury thermometer and then use it to check the other two. To calibrate the mercury thermo. take a glass and fill it with ice and water then stir. Wait 2 minutes and then insert just the tip of the mercury thermo into the glass of ice water. Wait two more minutes with thermo tip inserted then remove and it should read 32degreesF. If it doesnt read 32degrees, then the thermo is off by the difference between 32degrees and what it does read. Whatever it does read is actually 32degrees so if it read 34* instead of 32*, then you know it is off by 2*F. Now compare it to the other digital themometers and you will know which is correct or off and by how much.

If your digital thermometers have an external sensor for reading the temps, you can place those sensors into the ice water and use that reading for calibration. If with sensors immersed in the ice water, the reading should be 32*F, any variance from 32*F should be noted as a actual 32*f temperature., even if the actual reading is not 32*F..

on a side note, WalMart sells a Accurite brand digital thermometer for cooking that is calibrateable with an adjustment screw. It will be in the cooking utinsel asle with all the other dodads. It has a stainless steel probe for insertion into meats. It cost I think around $14. I was looking at them yesterday and am considering getting one just to check my other thermometers with.

4. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Thanks for the tips [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by