Which thermometer would you believe?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klesoine, May 18, 2009.

1. klesoine

klesoine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    I have a Brinsea 20 ecco that I"m using for the first time. The thermometer in the unit says 99.5. I put in a springfield thermometer/hygrometer and it says 97. Which would you believe?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd suggest going to Walmart, Lowe's, wherever and look at their cheapie thermometers. Check out several and you will see that they vary in what they are reading, some by several degrees. Take one that agrees with most of the others and that you feel represents the right temperature. Compare yours at home with this cheapie.

Granted, this does not mean that the cheapie is calibrated at 100 degrees, but it should be real close at the store temperature, probably around 70. Hopefully this gives you more confidence in one of your good thermometers.

If you live near a state university, the science department may be able to calibrate a thermometer for you at 100 degrees. And I would expect your county extension agent could tell you how to find someone to calibrate it for you in your area.

How much confidence do you need and how much trouble are you willing to go to to get it? Your choice.

Good luck! Maybe someone will have better ideas.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:What I did was take my water wiggler and insert a medical digital thermometer - which are better designed to be accurate. Medical thermometers are contact thermometers so they have to be IN something, a water wiggler or a wad of playdough in plastic that has come up to bator temps. I use that reading as my "real" reading and subtract or add mentally to the others to keep an eye on temps.

My wiggler thermometer was reading a degree too high. So I subtract that when I check. Easy enough.

Mine's a larger homemade bator so I have two more accurites that agree on air temp. One at the top, the other at the bottom. Those let me know the fans are working to cycle air and keep pockets from happening.

Not a problem you'd have with the little Brinsea.

4. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I am in the exact same boat Klesoine! I have a brinsea Eco 20, first hatch, Brinsea thermometer reads about 2 degrees higher than the springfield thermometer/hygrometer (Walmart cheapie). I've been averaging the 2 but I think I'll try using a medical thermometer. Seems like that would be the most accurate. Going to look for playdough...

Thanks for the suggestion walkswithdog!!

5. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Yes, thank you, I will have to give that a shot as well. [​IMG]

6. sarahclrksn

sarahclrksn Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    i have the same problem, and i have already lost 38 eggs...i have 2 of the plain jane thermometers in my LG and they both say 99.5 i have a new digital one that shows humidity also...the sensors in the LG while the monitor is on the outside..it says 94.5 and humidity 45-48 so i like you do not know which ones to believe....ugh

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Yeah. I am just starting the 1588 Hovabator and getting weird readings. I think I will just trust the incubator.

Your plan about comparing cheapy Walmart thermometers would work except that they all require batteries which are not in them in the store.

So of course they do not work until you get them home and put in a battery.

Catherine:(

8. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    My Brinsea reads about 1 degree lower than when checked with a Brinsea probe thermometer or a medical thermometer in water.

I have mine set at 100.6 to get 99.5 actual reading with the more accurate thermometers.

9. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I got my Caliber III thermometer off Amazon.com - it is actually a thermometer/hygrometer for cigars and supposed to be very accurate and got good reviews for accuracy. I think it cost around $15 with shipping. I've been very pleased with it so far.

10. Flagman

Flagman New Egg

May 8, 2009
    This might help. Get a glass full of ice and fill it with water. Stick the thermometer in it for about 5 minutes. It should read close to 32F. That will give you an idea about how accurate the thermometer is.

BTW this is my first here. Just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Last edited: May 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by