1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which thermometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mochicken, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have a Janoel incubator with digital thermometer and hygrometer, I wanted to test to make sure the temp was right so I put a manual thermometer in it, the one on the incubator says 99.5 degrees, I am assuming it reads it from the top of the incubator and not on the egg area as I see no probes or wires there.

So I decided to put a manual thermometer in there to see how close the digital one is, the manual one says 100-101 degrees laying on the tray. Now the problem is I bought a digital egg incubator thermometer hygrometer from Incubator Warehouse and got it in today, I put it in to see how close the other two are and its only saying 96 degrees while the manual says 101 WTH am I supposed to do? lol

I have had good hatches in the incubator and have been hatching chickens and quail for two months and had 90%+ hatch rate so I am assuming its fine but if it is only 96 degrees on the digital one should I adjust it and chance killing the eggs I have in there now?

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

The Brinsea Spot Check is specifically designed for use in incubators to give a continuous readout at an exceptional level of accuracy – in the order of 20 times the accuracy of general purpose digital thermometers widely available. It is the only one I use. It is accurate to .1 of a degree.

[​IMG]

3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
  4. kathyinmo

Quote:I am not familiar with that one. You did put only the probe inside the incubator, right (not the entire unit)?

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    right, the probe through one of the humidity holes and setting in the air right at egg level

6. kathyinmo

Quote:Hmmm, I don't know then. I put the probe in, and let it dangle at the top of the eggs. That is the temp I look for.

Good luck to you!

7. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Thanks, since I just had an 80% hatch rate on quail last week I will probably just leave it be, all I have in the incubator right now is quail eggs, about 55 of them

8. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    I was just going to write almost the exact same question. I have eggs in the incubator now with three thermometers in there. Two digitial thermometers/hygrometers and one mercury old fashioned type. The mercury old fashioned type says 100.0. One of the digital ones say 97.5 and the other digital one says 93.0. Hmmm.... which one should I believe? They are all three brand new thermometers.

9. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I know that is the hardest part, my incubator has a digital built in but I have read some bad things about them being off so I thought I would buy a "good one" to check against it and I used a mechanical one too, three thermometers three answers lol

I just checked mine again and it says 99.5 on the the digital, 99.4 on the incubator ( after I set the temp correct setting earlier ) and the manual one still says 104 or so which I hope is wrong, I think it is, does it make manual thermometers read wrong laying them on their backs? I cant stand it up because its too tall so its laying down.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I use the same one. I did a calibration test on it and it was right on. I measure just off of the bottom. My hatches are 95% to 100%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by