1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which thermostat???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyle7630, Feb 9, 2011.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    I was at Lowe's yesterday and decided to look at thermostats on a whim. I went to the water heater thermostats and there was an upper, and a lower thermostat that apparantly work in conjunction on a water heater. My questionis this; If I plan to build an incubator, which thermostat would I need? Or, is there a different one altogether that would be better? Thanks

2. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    There are a number of different options. The water heater t-stat is the cheapest but does require some finese and proper positioning to make it work well (ie a 1-2 degree temp swing). This is what I'm using and it works well. It is the LOWER water heater thermostat. The one with 2 wire connections and one temp adjuster screw. Should be about $8.

Read this thread. Lots of good discussion and opinions about different thermostats folks use in their homemade incubators.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=174944

Cheers!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I first built my cabinet incubator with a water heater themostat, and it has worked well. I do plan on changing it in the next couple of weeks to a dbl wafer system, I just want a more controled temp setting. The two differences you talk about is this, the upper thermostat is for a single element small 3o gallon water heater, and can be wired into a dbl one for a large dual element large 40 + gallon water heater. Just get the smaller one with only 2 screw connectors, that's what you need.

AL

4. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Thanks, so the lower with the two contacts is wired esentially like a switch? The contacts are one in, one out?

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:yea whatever your heat source is you are just breaking one side of the power to it

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes but when you get ready to mount it be sure to select the spot well and draw the thermostat off the mounting surface so air can flow better behind it where the temp sensors are located. not to far or close to the heat source and also plan the placement of the fan as well, if any of these are off you run the risk of having regulating problems.

Visit my page and then the incubator page...... I show the set-up you are looking for with pic's, the one I built and still use successfully.

AL

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

8. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    The standard water heater lower thermostat has a pretty large temperature swing built in. You set the desired temp via the screw and it will come on a few degrees below it and go off a few degrees above it. I've read it has a 6 degree swing. This isn't desirable in an incubator.

One way to get around this is to position the backside of the t-stat about 3-4" directly from the light bulb (nothing blocking). As you can imagine, the proximity to the bulb greatly increases the radiant energy/heat the t-stat gets and triggers it's high temp shut-off much faster faster than if it where further away from the bulb and only being heated up by the air around it.

Rebelcowboy did some really good experimenting with this idea and has some great videos and website explaining it. Check them out.
    http://cmfarm.us/WHTincubator.html

I have my incubator setup this way. You can see it on my BYC page. I have < 2 degree air temp swing in my box. Works well.

Good luck!

***edited: haha... reb beat me to it!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by